Awesome parenting

Silas13013

if the dad had talked to her instead not oneof us would have seen the clip, and this discussion would never had happened.

Angel have you even read his written response on facebook regarding why he did it and what happened next? (posted in this very thread under a spoiler alert))

I have definitey given my parents hell (still do that to my mom from time to time)

I woud see it as; She got her laptop, as long as she did her chores correctly, otherwise that privilige would go away (which it spectacularly did) so in essence she got paid for her work

@wevs: prayer at the start of the game is not really a great thing, since not all players are christian. If a player would stop a game and pull out a rug because it is time for the fifth muslim prayer of the day would you be ok with that? i would say such a thing really is conservative and ignorant to require.

You've missed the point and attempted to redirect the focus. I never said a word about stopping a game for prayer. That would be asinine. I referenced the long standing tradition of prayer before a game. And I'm not advocating that the school board, or even the state legislature support or sanction those prayers - but neither should they prohibit them because it might potentially offend an atheist, agnostic, muslim, hindu or any other faith. As far as I'm concerned those of different faiths (other than Christianity) could take the same time to pray to whomever/whatever God they believe in. It isn't a public display of faith encouraged by the government, is a collective act of individuals who choose to do so. Government prohibition (at any level) of displays of faith in public is as much an affront to the First Amendment of the Constitution as the government encouraging or sanctioning the same.

As that applies to this whole thread my convictions are pretty simple;

Return a parent's right to reasonably discipline their children including corporal punishment when required without fear of reprisal

Put the paddle back in the classroom (with the biggest one in the coach's office)

Require that the Pledge of Allegiance be recited in every K-12 classroom every day

Allow kids a moment of silence every morning to pray - according to whatever their faith may be

Return a parent's right to reasonably discipline their children including corporal punishment when required without fear of reprisal

Put the paddle back in the classroom (with the biggest one in the coach's office)

Require that the Pledge of Allegiance be recited in every K-12 classroom every day

Allow kids a moment of silence every morning to pray - according to whatever their faith may be

AMEN.

You've missed the point and attempted to redirect the focus. I never said a word about stopping a game for prayer. That would be asinine. I referenced the long standing tradition of prayer before a game. And I'm not advocating that the school board, or even the state legislature support or sanction those prayers - but neither should they prohibit it because it might potentially offend an atheist, agnostic, muslim, hindu or any other faith. As far as I'm concerned those of different faiths (other than Christianity) could take the same time to pray to whomever/whatever God they believe in. It isn't a public display of faith encouraged by the government, is a collective act of individuals who choose to do so. Government prohibition (at any level) of displays of faith in public is as much an affront to the First Amendment of the Constitution as the government encouraging or sanctioning the same.

As that applies to this whole thread my convictions are pretty simple;

My morning has been officially brightened upon hearing this. Thank you wevsspot.

America is America because it is a global mixing pot.

You got part of it right. But today's global melting pot isn't anything like the melting pot of yesteryear. The first century of our country's existence and well into the mid '50s of the second century, when immigrants came to the USA they acclimated to the ideals, purpose and expectations of our country. They learned English, some even insisted their children speak nothing but English - even if a second language was spoken at home. It was an honor to serve our country in the military. Regardless of ethnicity or race. Children were spanked regularly, in public, at home, at school - wherever and whenever the need arose. The majority of the population had some sort of faith and regularly attended church according to their religious beliefs. You're parent's dragged you to church whether you wanted to go or not. Not because it was expected, but because there was a keen awareness that the human species requires acknowledgement of something greater than the individual. Kids played outside from dawn to dusk, and childhood obesity wasn't an epidemic. When you met a younger boy or girl in public or in private you were greeted with a Sir, Miss or Ma'am. When your parents told you to do something the proper response was yes sir or yes ma'am. Marriage between a man and a woman was respected as the holy matrimony and life long commitment that it was intended to be. And it was perfectly ok to pray in public, in private, in the halls of congress or in the oval office.

Instead of being the laughing stock of the entire world, the USA was the envy of most of the world. Now we aren't much more than a joke, because we've lost our way. We've thrown out anything and everything that requires a commitment or accountability. We are for the most part self centered, self absorbed, lazy and selfish. Everything is relative, and God forbid you do anything politically incorrect.

This is both a retort to your post and as well has application to the original topic. While everyone here has differing opinions on the acceptability of this father's response and actions, one thing is for sure. He was convicted that his daughter had wronged he and her mother/step-mother, and accordingly made a very strong stand when he drew the line in the sand. I applaud the guy. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that he probably learned the value of respecting elders from his parent/parents, who in turned learned it from their parents.