Awesome parenting

Silas13013

I am a firm beliver in children doing chores around the house. It teaches them responsibility. Anything I wanted when I grew up I had to work for. Money was tight in my parents house with my father being lower enlisted in the army in the early 70's. By the time my brothers became teenagers my father had gained some rank in the Army and the got alot more then could be afforded for me. One thing I will say there was never anything I needed, but I did not always get those things I wanted.

I took the maid comment in the video to mean her mother.

If it had been my daughter I would have no thave shot the laptop, I would have instead reformatted it and staked claims on it. I do not like to waste money like that.

Now with that said as I worked as Asset Protection I had to deal with children such as his daughter. They were given everything and had no respect for anything. I would talk to parents and they were at the end of the rope with the children. Best recourse is to put the youngster into the leagle system and let them spend a day or so in jail. Alot of the children would learn from it other would not and down the road a track record was established on them. I do understand in the video she was just being disrespectful about her parents but that is where it starts. Then they feel if they can get away with it at home they will try to push all adults the same way.

20 to go till it is 500 :lol:

every time this reaches a milestone you are just going to suggest another arent you?

:lol:

ok then, lets make this one beat the "the official i just bought thread" for number of posts

k GO GO GO

After some discussion, I feel that this thread should be reopened and shall remain open under these rules :

You must not go off topic about homosexuality again or critisize someone else's belief about parenting else they will be reprimanded.

The discussion around parenting was a good one, not the one over homosexuality and not the argueing over opinions resulting in mud slinging and stupid comments.

Opened but I am watching it.

Uhm because God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. Depends on your religion I suppose and because I am a Christian, I dont approve of it.

+1

And I'm not homophobic...I just hate it....because it's not right...and you're not born gay...you become gay...from your surroundings..and most commonly...something someone did to you when you was little...I've met a few gays..and that's been the case......

edit: whoops didn't see the last post ^^^ lol

Edited by Il_napoletano

And I'm not homophobic...I just hate it....because it's not right...and you're not born gay...you become gay...from your surroundings..and most commonly...something someone did to you when you was little...I've met a few gays..and that's been the case......

:lol: :lol: :lol: God if I had a penny every time I heard that one. Unless you're gay, you're not super qualified to comment on how people become gay.

But anyway, disciplining children. I believe that Cow made a comment about how his parents used positive reinforcement and other non-physical manners, and says he turned out fine. I think he greatly illustrated the fact that every child is unique. Just as TJ said about art in another thread regarding interpreting art and what not, no two children are exactly the same psychologically. While environment plays a massive role in development, it's not the only contributor. Physical differences in the genetic makeup and brain structure play a large part as well.

So, TJ, understanding that you're against physical discipline: What should parents do when positive reinforcement and non-physical discipline don't work for a child? What's the next step to take?

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

After some discussion, I feel that this thread should be reopened and shall remain open under these rules :

You must not go off topic about homosexuality again or critisize someone else's belief about parenting else they will be reprimanded.

The discussion around parenting was a good one, not the one over homosexuality and not the argueing over opinions resulting in mud slinging and stupid comments.

Opened but I am watching it.

OK listen up Folks....

I urged Nyt to re-open this thread and he has given a statement... I am going to step on his toes and give you all this WARNING.... This thread is to STAY ON TOPIC... NO more will there be post made that aren't pertinent to the topic at hand. ANY Post made that is NOT on topic will result is a 5 day vacation to ANY Member making said post...

There will be NO Belittling of people and their Beliefs

There will be NO Bashing, Flaming or Insulting. Post are to be made in a constructive manor. If you want to challenge some ones opinion do it in a POLITE way.

There will be NO OFF TOPIC post made to get to or beyond the Magical 500th post... anyone doing so will get a 10 day Vacation...

No If's and's or But's... PERIOD.....

Carry on........................

Interesting video... but given the various gun legislation around the world it was purely and simply a means to an end, elsewhere it may have been a baseball bat (OR bucket of water) etc. the Father was relatively composed but obviously hurt at being publically shamed by his Daughter's FB activity and lack of respect for both her family & herself, his action was dramatic for "effect"...

All I keep hearing about is people's (and children's) rights, we teach it in our schools & we talk about it in various media BUT what about our (collective) responsibilities? responsibilities to our family, society, employer and Nation... simply put we must learn to adjust to coexisting with others and recognize (and address) our own selfish impulses especially if they will lead to collateral damage to others.

Chores are character building, an effective alternative form of punishment AND teach responsibility including the value of money (where an allowance/pocket money is introduced), "cash handouts" help no child/individual... unfortunately and perhaps it's a reflection of current societal values but people are losing sight of the basic principle of if you want something YOU need to work for it, there is no such thing as automatic entitlement.

Punishment should be reasonable and proportionate that doesn't negate corporal punishment because it's necessary during a child's life to set and enforce boundaries, a warning means nothing without the spectre of punishment, keep in mind that prior to children reaching the "age of reason" their brain's wiring hasn't developed sufficiently to adequately process information (and why they are unable to judge speed and distance safely ie. near roads), later during their development cycle bans, groundings and confiscation are an increasingly effective means of punitive measure.

• Like 1

Finally saw this video, (from OP), best thing is her dad is in IT. :lol: :lol: FAIL

TBH I was disappointed to see such little damage to the Laptop, maybe an assault rifle (or his ride on mower) would have been a better option than his '45 :evilgrin:

indexpv.th.jpg

Interesting video... but given the various gun legislation around the world it was purely and simply a means to an end, elsewhere it may have been a baseball bat (OR bucket of water) etc. the Father was relatively composed but obviously hurt at being publically shamed by his Daughter's FB activity and lack of respect for both her family & herself, his action was dramatic for "effect"...

All I keep hearing about is people's (and children's) rights, we teach it in our schools & we talk about it in various media BUT what about our (collective) responsibilities? responsibilities to our family, society, employer and Nation... simply put we must learn to adjust to coexisting with others and recognize (and address) our own selfish impulses especially if they will lead to collateral damage to others.

Chores are character building, an effective alternative form of punishment AND teach responsibility including the value of money (where an allowance/pocket money is introduced), "cash handouts" help no child/individual... unfortunately and perhaps it's a reflection of current societal values but people are losing sight of the basic principle of if you want something YOU need to work for it, there is no such thing as automatic entitlement.

Punishment should be reasonable and proportionate that doesn't negate corporal punishment because it's necessary during a child's life to set and enforce boundaries, a warning means nothing without the spectre of punishment, keep in mind that prior to children reaching the "age of reason" their brain's wiring hasn't developed sufficiently to adequately process information (and why they are unable to judge speed and distance safely ie. near roads), later during their development cycle bans, groundings and confiscation are an increasingly effective means of punitive measure.

Now this is a nice constructive post....

And I agree with it..... and you're right about the wiring of the young persons mind.... their inability to weight out the pros and cons and just side with the pros and rush forward only to argue with the cons after the fact. We were all once these children and i can relate to being young but I look back now and think how foolish and un-thoughtful I was.

I was one of those that didnt think about the consequences before I did the act...but I did learn