The ultimate free for all about cars

Tjj226_Angel

FWIW a 383ci (6.3 liter) engine can fairly easily(not cheaply, but easily) make 600hp "all motor". My current motor, whose shortblock is at the machine shop getting the pistons flycut, has a goal of 650hp - which is no small feat for a 23* headed 383 smallblock. It cost me somewhere between 10 and 15k(I don't care to add it all up...).

More modern engines, like GM's LSX blocks, can be punched to over 440 cubes and make 700hp on pump gas. Not something you would drive your mother to the grocery store in, but still a pump gas street drivable combo.

They aren't bad at all. Tjj really just doesn't know what he's talking about.

They are nowhere near as efficient as a proper front mount, but they are cheap and easy to install :).

FWIW a 383ci (6.3 liter) engine can fairly easily(not cheaply, but easily) make 600hp "all motor". My current motor, whose shortblock is at the machine shop getting the pistons flycut, has a goal of 650hp - which is no small feat for a 23* headed 383 smallblock. It cost me somewhere between 10 and 15k(I don't care to add it all up...).

More modern engines, like GM's LSX blocks, can be punched to over 440 cubes and make 700hp on pump gas. Not something you would drive your mother to the grocery store in, but still a pump gas street drivable combo.

They are nowhere near as efficient as a proper front mount, but they are cheap and easy to install :).

I'd love to get a 5.7L Charger and bore it out a little, increase the stroke, up to 6.7L

Should get lots of power out of that ;)

Yup. From what I've heard they're pretty laggy too but if you can keep them spooled they do make pretty good power and they last forever.

This thread took an interesting turn...

I like to talk about engines.... I've been building them for 25+ years... those 454s are beastly and with the right parts can go to 750 cubic inches +.... last Big inch one I freshened was a 705in making 2000hp on the motor alone....

but my favorite engine is the tiny peanut 283in engine... built my first one in Highschool and I still have it... runs 12s and does it all day long... the wife is going to be racing it this year in my 87 Monte until I either step up to my 800hp 340 stroker or a build a nice 454inch Small Block...

How much power in one of those engines? Close to 400hp?

A built 454 can easily have well over 600 HP without breaking a sweat.

:thumbsup:

My first car: 1982 Hond Civic 1300

My current car: 2007 BMW 118d 5-Door Hatchback

My unrealistic dream car: BMW 1-series M Coupé

My somewhat realistic dream car: BMW 325d

My worst crash: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=178241

I had forgotten about that one!

Yup. From what I've heard they're pretty laggy too but if you can keep them spooled they do make pretty good power and they last forever.

You could reduce the lag by getting ball bearing turbos as opposed to the standard bearing version though, right? The better bearings reduces resistance and allows them to spool up faster and to higher RPM's.

Well I see I am late to the party. Time to shotgun a few and catch up.

First Car, 1985 Pontiac Parisian. Giant rear wheel drive monster. Loved it.

Current Car. 2001 Buick Le Sabre

Favorite Car I have owned/own 1996 Ford Bronco Eddy Bower Edition

Favorite car ever? Are you kidding me? That is like making me choose a favorite color of non visible light, I just can't do it.

Favorites are: Koenigsegg CCX, 1970 Boss 429 Mustang. 1967 GT 500.

Cars I Realistically want to own some day.

Porche 944 Turbo, 1985 C4 Corvette, Nissan 300 ZX Turbo, Current Generation Boss Mustang, 2002 Shelby Mustang. Mark 1 VW Golf GTI. 1996 Bronco with a 460ci EFI stuffed in it.

Unrealistic cars I lust for.

2002 Viper GTS, Porche 959, 1970 Boss 429.

Only 337 ever built, 450Hp, 0-60 in 4 seconds(ish)

I want one because I can't have one.

Ever.

Then do things the really easy way either buy two 924s with enough parts between them to make one whole car. Or pay someone around 5-6k for their running resto 924 :P

A lot of porsche fans hate the car but without it Porsche would have gone under back in the early 80s

My first and still current car: 1999 Honda Civic EX

Next car(s) I want: Hyundai Veloster, Mitsubishi Lancer, Scion tC, Scion FR-S

Dream car(s): Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, Porsche 911, 1969 Chevy Corvette

Unrealistic dream car(s): Porsche 911 GT3, McLaren F1, Acura/Honda NSX