For all the would be software pirates.

InCrYsIs

This. I've "previewed" many games and have bought a huge number of games because of it.

Same here.

If piracy didn't exist I would not own half as many games as I do now because I wouldn't be willing to risk my hard-earned cash on a bad game. But if I do like a game I buy the real deal and enjoy it. If I don't, I just delete it.

the simple solution to this is not to use a public torrent site and use newsites or private sites. while you can't really rent PC games you can for consoles so as long as you have some sort of renting services i see nothing wrong with renting a game via the web.

I also think most of you will agree that you are much more likely to buy a game not in the spot light because you found it floating around the web and tried it out.

I do agree that even bad games should get money because if you download and find out its crap they lost out on one more sucker. If i end up beating a really horrible game i'll wait until it's in the $5 bin but most of the time i get past a level or 2 and never touch it again.

Edited by hornybluecow

That was something stated prior to the first quote. So let me get this straight, you're going to prove something that you're not allowed to talk about because it's a secret? I'm sure that works in court as long they buy the judge, that's the real secret.

Seriously, just skimming over the article, you see words like "secret" or "privacy" plastered everywhere. Typically you don't need a whole lot of secrets and privacy unless you do a whole lot of lying.

Actually, you could simply inform the judge of the need for secrecy of the method (makes sense because the less the pirates know the longer it will be before they crack it) and then the proceedings can be done behind closed doors and likely the documents of the court be somehow protected to keep the secret out. Really though, the judge just needs to be convinced the method is legal, which can be done in their chambers with both parties represented, and then the rest of the trial wouldn't be affected. No need to buy the judge when there are already methods to keep the secret safe.

Anyway, if they can successfully target just pirates, let them. Every content creator has the right to defend their rights to content, it's just that some are going overboard with their methods, and causing problems for legal end-users. I do have to agree though that making more demos for games would be a good idea. It doesn't seem to me like it would be that hard though, especially with services like Steam. Just make it so there's a 1-2 hour time limit on the full game, instead of spending the time to select and package specific demo content. Could have Steam, or whatever service, save a protected file with timestamps of when a game was opened and closed, to record the time used thus far. Have the file on both the computer, for offline play, and the Steam servers, so every time Steam connects it can verify the times in the file, and if it finds the computer's file has fewer or altered timestamps compared to what the servers have, time's up, and maybe the account gets suspended. Maybe someone could get around it by editing the file and staying offline, but then the person can't get any new content on that computer. One could also try to get around it with multiple accounts, but Steam could watch for new accounts appearing with only demos being downloaded. I'm completely throwing this together as I type, so I don't really know if this idea could work, but hey, it's something.

if they hired me all piracy would stop. it only takes some quick thinking and some game breaking ideas to stop most piracy.

the simplest method with put a AES encryption on the texture files and some key functions and pirates have a working ugly game THAT THEY RATHER BUY!

if every file had some AES encryption, A) it would takes ages to crack B) they would seriously have to replace ever single file one by one because file would have a check looking for altered files. since AES is realtime encryption it would not have a big impact on performance if at all.

Edited by hornybluecow

I own The Witcher 1. It's one of those in my pile of unfinished/unstarted games. I'm going to pirate The Witcher 2 just to spite them. They are now no better than the RIAA. The sooner they realize they will never stop piracy the sooner they will stop wasting their time and money in the wasted pursuit of it all. Them focusing on pirates does absolutely nothing to stop them. In fact it just makes it more fun and inviting for the pirates. "Oh you made up some half assed attempt to stop me? LOL look I cracked it hours after it hit the shelves."....seriously they need to just focus on making good games and people will want to buy them. Yes even some people that pirate games buy them afterwards too. The percent of pirates that won't buy it regardless? Deal with it. You won't stop them. Bunch of cry babies boohoo my game only sold 2,000,000 copies sniff sniff

I own The Witcher 1. It's one of those in my pile of unfinished/unstarted games. I'm going to pirate The Witcher 2 just to spite them. They are now no better than the RIAA. The sooner they realize they will never stop piracy the sooner they will stop wasting their time and money in the wasted pursuit of it all. Them focusing on pirates does absolutely nothing to stop them. In fact it just makes it more fun and inviting for the pirates. "Oh you made up some half assed attempt to stop me? LOL look I cracked it hours after it hit the shelves."....seriously they need to just focus on making good games and people will want to buy them. Yes even some people that pirate games buy them afterwards too. The percent of pirates that won't buy it regardless? Deal with it. You won't stop them. Bunch of cry babies boohoo my game only sold 2,000,000 copies sniff sniff

I'm not sure that is a good thing to say here or anywhere. It is also a poor attitude to have. Can I steal your computer or TV? Let me know.

If piracy didn't exist I would not own half as many games as I do now because I wouldn't be willing to risk my hard-earned cash on a bad game.

A justification that never works, review sites are everywhere, you can get info on the game before buying even without a demo, no justification for being a thief.

:withstupid: I have to admit I do this to. I am sick of little the demos show me.

Another admitted thief also looking for it being someone elses fault.

So let me get this straight instead of doing the legal thing, which bte you are of not giving them your money you feel that you must somehow punish them? So you choosing the break the law will get them right? Look they may be bad but you for being a thief are just as bad.

It's a realistic attitude. They will not stop piracy no matter what they do. You're welcome to try.

So if we cannot stop a crime it is okay. Cool I am gonna show up at your house with a few buddies with guns and take all your stuff, but thats okay because it is not like you could stop me.

I am always amazed at people that try to justify a conscious decision to be a thief and then really think it is okay.

It's a realistic attitude. They will not stop piracy no matter what they do. You're welcome to try.

Two things. One I'm pretty sure it is against forum rules to discuss pirating in the way you did. Directly saying, "I'm going to pirate The Witcher 2 just to spite them," I'm pretty sure is enough to get a mod's attention.

Two, the realistic attitude is piracy is stealing and they have the right to prevent what they own from being stolen, just as you and I do. It is also realistic that piracy is not going to stop, which was stated by the VP of Business Development, but, just because it will not stop does not, in any way, mean it is alright to do.

There is always a group of people, who no matter what is their financial situation will choose to download the software, just because they can.

Besides, if the developers, "realize they will never stop piracy the sooner they will stop wasting their time and money in the wasted pursuit of it all," they will then enable everyone to take whatever they want without paying. Will sure make it hard to produce any AAA title on the funds of just a few thousand sales, if that.

They may not be able to stop them all, but then the cops can't stop every crime, and a doctor can't save every patient. That is absolutely no excuse to not act.

This. I've "previewed" many games and have bought a huge number of games because of it.

+1. Because so many recent games seem to be utter crap *cough* DNF *cough* I always download a game before I even consider buying it. But I also download a lot of games which I have never heard anything about, find out it's great and buy it. So pirating is a good thing :P

So if we cannot stop a crime it is okay. Cool I am gonna show up at your house with a few buddies with guns and take all your stuff, but thats okay because it is not like you could stop me.

I am always amazed at people that try to justify a conscious decision to be a thief and then really think it is okay.

Might want to bring more then a few. Theres only one way in or out and I probably have more guns and ammo than you =P