Intel Core i7 930 Max overclock on stock cooler

Hey Guys.... I have an intel core i7 930 2.8 Ghz processor. Please suggest me the maximum Host clock frequency i can set on Stock cooling solution. I need to overclock it so as to play games like Assassin's creed revelations and Battlefield 3 on ultra (i have 560 ti OC). Also should i turn of the turbo boost ????? Please help i am new to this.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys.... I have an intel core i7 930 2.8 Ghz processor. Please suggest me the maximum Host clock frequency i can set on Stock cooling solution. I need to overclock it so as to play games like Assassin's creed revelations and Battlefield 3 on ultra (i have 560 ti OC). Also should i turn of the turbo boost ????? Please help i am new to this.

Download Prime 95, and Core Temp. Run both the applications for 30 minutes. You come back and tell us what your highest temperature is. You can get a tiny boost on the stock cooler if your case is a super high airflow case. In reality it is TOTALLY stupid to over clock on the stock cooler, so you might want to look at getting an after market cooler.

Yes you should turn off Turbo boost since it becomes useless when you overclock it.

If you want to achieve a good overclock, you need to tell us your motherboard, ram, and temps at stock and on prime 95. However, the BIGGEST thing you need is a better cooler.

Download Prime 95, and Core Temp. Run both the applications for 30 minutes. You come back and tell us what your highest temperature is. You can get a tiny boost on the stock cooler if your case is a super high airflow case. In reality it is TOTALLY stupid to over clock on the stock cooler, so you might want to look at getting an after market cooler.

Yes you should turn off Turbo boost since it becomes useless when you overclock it.

If you want to achieve a good overclock, you need to tell us your motherboard, ram, and temps at stock and on prime 95. However, the BIGGEST thing you need is a better cooler.

stupid.gif

Wait, what? Since when is turbo useless? A lot of apps and even games mostly use 1 core, so that 1 core at a higher speed will help...

I'm going to reflect what tjangel said and say that you should not overclock your your processor with The stock cooler in place. I have done that before with my i7 920 and they get way to hot for me even at stock settings. If you want to overclock then there are more then a few things we could go over to teach you how but until you get a better cooler I would hold off. Depending on what case you Have I could recommend some coolers for you and then we can go ahead and overclock some.

My thoughts.

Boinker

Wait, what? Since when is turbo useless? A lot of apps and even games mostly use 1 core, so that 1 core at a higher speed will help...

I think you misunderstood. I said turbo is useless when you overclock. NOT that is a complete useless feature. I love turbo only when my computer is at stock.

The reason turbo mode is useless when you overclock is because you should in theory overclock your computer to beyond turbo frequency anyways. Off the top of my head I think the turbo of the 930 was like 3 ghz, but you should be able to overclock that chip to a solid 4 ghz with a proper cooler. Since the chip can then run at 4 ghz across all 4 cores, turbo seems utterly useless because a single threaded application is going to run at 4ghz with or with out turbo. It is sort of like saying if you are in a race, and you are already going so fast that you are guaranteed to win the race, why on earth would you try and go even faster and risk damage to the car?

(PS... to all you overclocking veterans, I am trying to keep this SUPER simple to understand, if I am mis communicating something, please correct me so I don't confuse anyone)

That brings me to the next point of why you should disable turbo. It causes huge instability issues. When turbo engages, your voltages go kind of insane for a split second. On a high overclock you want really smooth and even voltages going to your processor. Because of the turbos voltage management (term I made up to explain things) it can cause freezes, blue screens, and obviously total system crashes.

So you just want to disable it.

I hope you now see what I meant by saying turbo is useless for overclocking, and that I did not say it was a completely useless feature ALL the time.