Noctua as quiet as everyone claiming?

uneedav8

I have a gaming computer that is super loud which is OK; since I am either gaming with head phones, or blasting the speakers. My other system I use for photo editing and design work. My goal is to get this system as quiet as possible. It is pretty close to that right now but I want it quieter. The problem is the case has 4x 80mm fans. I don't want a new case with 120mm fans. I have use many types of quiet fans and they all seem to be the same. How are the Noctua in comparison? I have heard great things.

Edited by uneedav8

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a D14 and I love it. OTOH I have lots of fans to put on it -- it's sort of a hobby.

If I were getting a heatsink for max cooling and very quiet, I'd get a Silver Arrow. It has two TY-140 fans. They are the best quiet 140mm fans. And because they are 140mm fans they out-cool 120mm fans, including the Gentle Typhoons (I know because I have compared them -- all of them).

Even better: the TY-140's are PWM fans, so no matter what mb you have they can spool down when your cpu is idling. Gigabyte motherboards are pretty much the only ones that allow you to switch to varying Voltage. And without PWM, the only way Noctua fans can be regulated is with Voltage.

One issue: RAM. Get low profile RAM. Only low profile RAM will fit under a 140mm fan. But with today's low RAM Voltages, no one needs to get RAM with anything other than low profile heatsinks.

I have a D14 and I love it. OTOH I have lots of fans to put on it -- it's sort of a hobby.

If I were getting a heatsink for max cooling and very quiet, I'd get a Silver Arrow. It has two TY-140 fans. They are the best quiet 140mm fans. And because they are 140mm fans they out-cool 120mm fans, including the Gentle Typhoons (I know because I have compared them -- all of them).

Even better: the TY-140's are PWM fans, so no matter what mb you have they can spool down when your cpu is idling. Gigabyte motherboards are pretty much the only ones that allow you to switch to varying Voltage. And without PWM, the only way Noctua fans can be regulated is with Voltage.

One issue: RAM. Get low profile RAM. Only low profile RAM will fit under a 140mm fan. But with today's low RAM Voltages, no one needs to get RAM with anything other than low profile heatsinks.

Well, you do realize why the noctua has the 120mm fan right? It is so that it can fit more ram. Everything designed on the Noctua is cleverer. Now, if you have the space for the silver arrow might be a good choice, but I would still stick with noctua. That is my PERSONAL choice, so no flame wars please :biggrin:

Well, you do realize why the noctua has the 120mm fan right? It is so that it can fit more ram. Everything designed on the Noctua is cleverer. Now, if you have the space for the silver arrow might be a good choice, but I would still stick with noctua. That is my PERSONAL choice, so no flame wars please :biggrin:

You are absolutely right that everything on the D14 is cleverer. Their mounting system is the best, for example. I also love how you can use Megahalems clips on it. Here is an example:

med_gallery_69536_505_772105.png

But when I get done testing fans on it and put it to work I will use PWM fans, probably a pair of TY-140's.

I seriously doubt this is the right place to ask, but does any one have an idea of when that new noctua heat sink is coming out? The one that is twice the size of the D14?

No idea on that but when it does come out I'm buying one. My NH-D14 is silent and keeps my Phenom x6 under ambient temp. at full load. If I had money to spare I'd replace all of my 120s & 140s with Noctua fans. Hell, I'd replace my bathroom fan with 3-4 of their fans. Lol

I seriously doubt this is the right place to ask, but does any one have an idea of when that new noctua heat sink is coming out? The one that is twice the size of the D14?

Not sure but could probably find out.

I have to sing the praises of Noctua because their stuff just performs. You can still get respectable performance when you use the supplied Low Noise and Ultra Low noise adapters. The fans last and move plenty of air and use technology to improve static pressure so that they work well on radiators designed for low airflow.

twice the size of the d14?

i have a feeling that will be nicknamed the motherboard crusher