1. 1. How much will you pay for a CPU?

• Less than $100
    • $100 to $150
    • $150 to $200
    • $200 to $250
    • $250 to $300
    • $300 and up
    • You cannot put a price on great benchmarks

It's hard to compare evenly, since in most countries outside the US computer parts are more expensive. So I went for what I would spent in Denmark converted to USD. Which amounted to 200-250. But had I been in the US that cpu (2500k) would be in the range below.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......only to break out my older Asus board and get a i7 950. Payed almost 100 less for it Then the 920 and the i7 series keeps up pretty well with other chips and real world gains from upgrading to a whole new system were not worth it so I went a generation older.

X58 with an i7 950 is still a potent computing platform :)

I'm sticking with mine for a while too. Although I'll admit that every day it becomes harder not to blow money on a 1155 or 2011 setup. I hate my addiction...............!

It's all relative based on performance/dollar. When I sold my i7 950 last year, I sold it for $150 a few months after I bought it for $200 at Microcenter. A month or two ago I bought a used one for benching with for $90 and $60 for an EVGA e758.

I bought an i5 2500k for as low as $100 a few weeks ago (store credit when it was $140 at Microcenter) as well, but I'd gladly pay $170 for it because of it's overclockability and performance.

The most I personally spent on a CPU was the i7 2600k, which was around $285 after taxes at Microcenter... but I also got $80 off a motherboard with their bundle deal.

I did buy XEON 5520's for a company, but I recouped about 75% of the costs, so that doesn't count.

If Ivy Bridge's equivalent of the i7 2600k costs $450 and it's twice as fast, I might sell the i7 2600k for $230 to get it, but most likely I'll skip Ivy Bridge.

When building for customers or friends I recommend going with bang for the buck which today is the 2500K; for those that prefer AMD I'm still recommending the Phenom X6 1100T so the range would be anywhere from $180 to $225 depending on what deals are available.

For my own builds I have a tendency to spend more (than I should) but did make it through Black Friday without doing anything irrational :)

I bought and i7 860 when they were reasonably new. I bought an 875k when it was new. These days I'd wait for the 2600k to drop a bit, then get one of those.

noob but...

When I consider what I spend on cable, internet, & cell phone charges (or one nite on the town) -- $329 for a 2600K seems pretty reasonable. Treating myself for quitting smoking (chain) too. Factor in the amount of hours I spend researching/building/modding/experimenting/talking/enjoying the rig over the next two, or three years?

I don't need the performance parts I have on my other toys either. Sure would be nice to get them for $329. :woo:

I always buy the top of the line consumer processor. So while I am not insane enough to buy an extreme edition processor, I would purchase the i7 2600K for about 300 bucks. I think a fair price for a CPU would be 275 to 350. Mayyyyybe 400 if it is something super special. Even if all I am doing is gaming, I would rather wait a year to be able to afford top of the range stuff so that it will last longer. For instance I spent 280 on my i7 950 and with the release of SB, I am still trading benchmark numbers with the i5 2500K. Even though I spend a little bit more on a CPU, I try to make it last as long as I possibly can.

:thumbsup:

I also personally limit myself to about $200 max. With a Microcenter nearby I can get an i5 2500K for like $175 as well as an 1090T for $160 or a 970 for $140. There is NO reason for me to look at anything over $175 let along $200.

+1

Having purchased multiple CPU's over $1000 over the years I don't practise that now. :lol:

When it comes down to the CPU I don't really have a set dollar amount. I generally look at performance, Overclocking and buy what I think works well for what I want to do.