1. 1. How much will you pay for a CPU?

• Less than $100
    • $100 to $150
    • $150 to $200
    • $200 to $250
    • $250 to $300
    • $300 and up
    • You cannot put a price on great benchmarks

You know this question is in a round about way being asked in a few other threads so lets put it out there. You are building a new system and are about to buy a new CPU. What do you think is a fair CPU price. This BTW is taking into account all the CPUs currently out there and the price points they represent.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i always do is buy the middle of the pack in the CPU department as i will be using it primarily for gaming. and with a good OC yo can get good benchmarks.

i will never buy top of the range , especially with Intel because it is way over priced.

rather spend the extra $$$ on a GPU or memory for a better all round performance.

this is just my opinion.

Edited by Mercman

I also personally limit myself to about $200 max. With a Microcenter nearby I can get an i5 2500K for like $175 as well as an 1090T for $160 or a 970 for $140. There is NO reason for me to look at anything over $175 let along $200.

what i always do is buy the middle of the pack in the CPU department as i will be using it primarily for gaming. and with a good OC yo can get good benchmarks.

i will never buy top of the range , especially with Intel because it is way over priced.

rather spend the extra $$$ on a GPU or memory for a better all round performance.

this is just my opinion.

Exactly. Same here. I spent like $250 on my first day launch Phenom II 940, and that was a mistake. I should of just waited a few WEEKS and I could of bought it a lot cheaper. But when I do builds for other people, I always just get the middle of the road ~$100-150 AMD cpu and OC it to the moon.

Edited by ShallowBay

The best bang-for-buck in a certain price range matters though. :P

The ranges in the poll are too narrow when looking for best bang-for-buck. It could be a $150 CPU or $250 CPU, depending on when you pull the trigger.

Typically, I go for 2nd or 3rd best processor on the market when I buy because those don't have the insane markup associated with being the best-of-the-best.

I just finished off my first intel build and I have to say that best bang-for-the-buck is completely situational. I was going to go for an i5 2500k but managed to find a 2600k for only $27 bucks more than an i5, which was normally out of my budget but was just a good deal :P

As a rule, when building a system for someone I tend to go for cheap rather than performance and generally max out at $150, but when building for myself I tend to just find the best deal on the best processor I can get my hands on.

Actually, I blame this site for my gratuitous spending on hardware. Curse you for introducing me to the joys of overclocking and building your own rig :D

I just recently sold my old i7 920 only to beak out my older Asus board and get a i7 950. Payed almost 100 less for it Then the 920 and the i7 series keeps up pretty well with other chips and real world gains from upgrading to a whole new system were not worth it so I went a generation older. I think so long as you are happy and satisfied with what you have then cost really does not play a factor.