Canon are despicable

Andrewr05

I acquired a Canon PIXMA MP620 (someone threw it out most likely for THIS reason) and apparently you can not use ANY of it's functions without an ink cartridge installed.

This printer allows you to directly scan something and save the file onto a memory card or USB drive or use it as a scanner on your computer.

Despite neither of those things requiring ink in any manner it dissalows ANY function until an ink cartridge is installed.

Why? Why.... WHY!?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I love about this place - you learn something new everyday :)

I'm on my 3rd Canon all-in-one and I never knew that. Of course mine always have ink cartridges in them.

That quirk aside, I've loved all three of my Canon all-in-ones. I still have two of the three. The scan arm

quit working on the first one I owned after 4+ years of heavy use.

After having done a ton of refurbishment work on HP and Lexmark printers (high volume repair/refurbishment) I can tell

you that I wouldn't own any other consumer class all-in-one except for a Canon. Haven't tried a Kodak. Epson was a fail too.

oh, WTF, my car doesnt drive without a steering wheel!

I'm just messing with you, I think most printers do not work without an ink cartridge in them.

btw, how do you plan to print without an ink cartridge? I rarely print anymore, but I still print out rebate forms and junk.

I have the same issue with my Canon Pixma MP750. Want to send a fax? Better have ink in the catridges, an empty catridge won't do. Want to print a black & white document? You'd better not be out of color ink. It costs almost $70 to replace all the catridges. You can catch a monochrome laser printer on sale at NewEgg for less than that. I'm sorely tempted...

I think there's something you can do with the reset button. I use remanned cartridges, and every once in a while I'll get a "no ink" popup, but I think there's a workaround if you read the small print in the popup.

btw, how do you plan to print without an ink cartridge?
Please read a thread before you comment on it.

;)

I have the same issue with my Canon Pixma MP750. Want to send a fax? Better have ink in the catridges, an empty catridge won't do. Want to print a black & white document? You'd better not be out of color ink. It costs almost $70 to replace all the catridges. You can catch a monochrome laser printer on sale at NewEgg for less than that. I'm sorely tempted...

Yep, I was just having this discussion with my father.

You can buy a new printer for the price of ink.

Ridiculous.

I think there's something you can do with the reset button. I use remanned cartridges, and every once in a while I'll get a "no ink" popup, but I think there's a workaround if you read the small print in the popup.

I tried all combinations of the buttons and it doesn't seem to do anything (I researched it and everything).

Some lower end models seem to be able to function via some button presses but apparently this one can't.

I tried all combinations of the buttons and it doesn't seem to do anything (I researched it and everything).

Some lower end models seem to be able to function via some button presses but apparently this one can't.

Do you have an empty cartrige in the printer? You cannot reset it if it does not exist....