Home Theater Receiver.

Psywar

Hey Ya'll!

So something pretty freaking cool happened to me last week. KEF Audio had this thing going on. They had been giving away a free T105 Theater System to their followers. (You had to have been a subscriber to one of the Revision3 videoblogcasts.)

By some weird luck I ended up getting picked. So I have this beautiful $1500 Home Theater System sitting here and I need to get a Receiver to power it.

I started looking the other day and I really don't know what to get. So I am hoping someone has one they love or one they would recommend.

I just need a 5.1 Receiver.

Each speaker output should be at least 100watts.

At least 3 HDMI Ports.

I want to stay >=$400 (prefer less than lol!)

http://www.kefdirect.com/t105-tseries-system.html

That is the speaker system.

Thank you guys for the Advice/Comments!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do not need a 5.1 receiver/amp as the sub utilizes it's own inbuilt 250watt class d amp.

It doesn't say but it would be safe to assume that the 100watts stated is actually rms value when it comes with that price tag.

Now what are you going to be using with your receiver? Will you need multiple hdmi in and hdmi video out? As well as optical and analogue outs?

You will need one analogue out for the sub as well

Edit: I need to stop getting distracted and read the post okay then.

Here is one option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115313

Another cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115311

Edited by Stonerboy779

Given what you require its not going to be easy to find many good recievers under $400 but I do have a couple here you can check out.

This Onkyo appears to be good and has four HDMI connections three inputs and one out. It does 110W RMS but only at 6ohm if your speakers are 8ohm then it only does 80W. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120176

Both of these Pioneer units come in with similar spec to each other and seem roughly the same as the Onkyo unit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117398 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117397

I hav e yamaha since a few years and is very happy with it, but it is an older model so probably not relevant... But my sister boyfriend just bought an Onkyo 508 and is very happy with is (120W per channel i think, lot of HDMI, optical/digital inputs)

The yamaha I linked is 110watts at 8ohms you won't be running your speakers that loud anyway you will be pained to listen to it.

Onkyo is a great brand but is overrated from time to time. Yamaha is a trusted and very solid brand, I would go with my first suggestion it's $230. It is something that supports everything you need. No need to spend more than that.

But if you are willing to stay with 80watts so you never get to run your speakers at 100% then I would say look at compxperts second suggestion and it comes with direct bluetooth connectivity.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Thank you guys for the Suggestions!

One of the biggest problems I had with looking for the receiver is brand names. I have never heard of Onkyo until yesterday when I started looking at receivers.

It seem's like they have solid specs. I just did not know if I bought one if I would end up with a piece of junk.

I do understand you get what you pay for, but occasionally you will find items that are less pricey and still work great.

Thanks again! I will check out all of these guys and figure out which one suits my purpose best.

One of the biggest problems I had with looking for the receiver is brand names. I have never heard of Onkyo until yesterday when I started looking at receivers.

It seem's like they have solid specs. I just did not know if I bought one if I would end up with a piece of junk.

I do understand you get what you pay for, but occasionally you will find items that are less pricey and still work great.

Thanks again! I will check out all of these guys and figure out which one suits my purpose best.

Not only are there specs solid they are big name very specifically in av receivers and home audio amps. Don't call them cheap they are anything but.

I know I'll get flak for this - but you don't need 100 watts RMS.

100 watts RMS is so far and beyond what any halfway efficient speaker setup needs - especially one with a dedicated active sub and no low-frequency drivers in the satellites. Personally I'd go for a relatively decent quality 50-75 watt per channel receiver before dumping a ton of money on a powerful one.

I like Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, and Yamaha receivers but to be perfectly honest you'd probably be fine with any name-brand (except Sony, don't get me started on them) receiver that has at least 50 watts per channel at 6/8 Ohms. :cheers:

It's overkill and a bit of a waste of money for what you need but it will work and will power your system. No issues running 5.1 on 7.1 either don't worry about that you could even buy yourself two bookshelf speakers to use as side speakers and actually have a 7.1 set up

My 7.1 Onkyo system has been in place for 7 years now with nothing but good solid sound from it! Movies or music it does quite well.