Need a little more framerate from 4870.

In the mean time before I get a faster card I was looking to OC my 4870. I am inquiring if anyone has experience on a stable OC of a 4870. What programs did you use? Remember the core clock and memory clock speeds? Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just open catalyst control center now called "AMD vision engine control center" idk, why, and click on the 'peformance' button.

I dont remember the stock speed on a 4870, but if its like 750, raise it to 800, etc.

if the computer is stable while playing games, u can raise it a little more

dont raise the memory too high, just add like 25 or 50

just open catalyst control center now called "AMD vision engine control center" idk, why, and click on the 'peformance' button.

I dont remember the stock speed on a 4870, but if its like 750, raise it to 800, etc.

if the computer is stable while playing games, u can raise it a little more

dont raise the memory too high, just add like 25 or 50

Strange, on my pc the exe is still called CCC.exe

I dunno if the program is the same...well I don't even think I've updated drivers recently... XD

Well I just tried opening both CCC and Vision Control Center and when i click em it shows that it's working but no program opens that's strange. On second thought i'll use Sapphire Trixx I got it and it looks good i'm gonna try 800 core clock and add 25 to mem clock should be a stable oc.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

If you want to stability test the GPU like we do the CPU then you could easily use OCCT GPU core and memory test, MSI Kombustor or furmark to test stability with the overclock. If you do entend to test for permanant stability then please try to test it at the highest res your monitor will allow. This will make sure that you have a decent stability in the cards before the long haul.

I have Sapphire Trixx really nice design and ease of use. I've always liked Sapphire products. Especially the 5970 2gb card they have (I just don't have 600-700$ to spend heh). So I just set my core clock to 900 and mem to 925 I didn't mess with GPU voltage cause I was sure if I should. I ran the basic G2 burn in on Kombustor and my temps started creeping up to 93 C! I hope that isn't that high for this card? I wasn't sure if it is so I shutdown the test until I see from you guys. I applied Artic Silver 5 to the card and cooler properly so it's not that.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

What frame rates are you running? Anything over your refresh rate of your monitor is useless. If your monitor runs 75 on your refresh rate and your running 90fps, I would not bother but if your running 40, overclocking will help. You could run 1000fps but if your monitor runs 75, that's as fast as it will go. FYI.