Upgrade desktop vs Buy Laptop

xly15

I am a computer science major and I was wondering if upgrading my current desktop or buying a new laptop is a better deal. My current desktop is in my sig. What I am looking to upgrade to if I go that route is an AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8 gbs of memory,OCZ agility 2 160gb ssd, and an Asus m5a97 970 am3+ motherboard.

The laptop I am looking at is the HP dv6zqe it has an:

AMD Quad-core A6-3400m @ 2.3GHz/1.4GHz with 4mb of l2

1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD Dual Graphics

6gb of DDR3 memory

640gb hdd

9 cell lithium ion battery

15.6" full 1080 led screen with anti-glare

Blu-ray player

So which is better?

I have looked at the laptops in the $250-300 range and I don't really like them. I should have also put that I want to be able to play games on it at somewhat good settings. I also like to be able to watch the occasional blu-ray or 1080 video on it.

If you don't have a laptop yet, then I would recommend getting a laptop. When you start to get projects where you have to collaborate, having a laptop makes it easier.

What is the reason behind upgrading your PC?

Edited by Krazyxazn

The main reason for upgrading is that I can bog down my current PC pretty quickly. I was just wondering if I could make a good desktop replacement with a laptop. I would also probably be doing some coursework on it.

I have added the Sager NP3250 to my choices. I guess what I am asking is what is better for a computer science major that does not live on campus and will be spending long tracks of time on campus?

Get a fusion laptop!! The battery life is amazing and the performance is great for everything a laptop has to do!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=600004344&IsNodeId=1&Description=e-350%20laptop&name=15%22%20-%2015.6%22&Order=BESTMATCH

Can your E6750 go any higher??

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If you only look at performance for rendering and stuff like that, for low prices, a desktop computer is by far more cheap than a laptop. BUT you can always use your laptop, Home, Campus, Bus, Friends, Train doesn't matter...

Personally a HD capable netbook (ION or fusion) and a desktop combination is the best, performance at home little to carry.

But a laptop will ensure that you have decent performance with you at any time.

A netbook is for me ideal since it is so small to carry and still sufing/coding/video capable.

Also you cant really have a ssd in a laptop, unless you can survive the hassle with an external drive.

If you only look at performance for rendering and stuff like that, for low prices, a desktop computer is by far more cheap than a laptop. BUT you can always use your laptop, Home, Campus, Bus, Friends, Train doesn't matter...

Personally a HD capable netbook (ION or fusion) and a desktop combination is the best, performance at home little to carry.

But a laptop will ensure that you have decent performance with you at any time.

A netbook is for me ideal since it is so small to carry and still sufing/coding/video capable.

Also you cant really have a ssd in a laptop, unless you can survive the hassle with an external drive.

:withstupid: If you're mainly going to be doing school stuff then the most important thing is the battery life.

:withstupid: If you're mainly going to be doing school stuff then the most important thing is the battery life.

I survive on campus with a 3 hour battery life laptop for longer than 5 hours.. It's not hard. Find an outlet and use it. Use the sleep mode when its idle.

It's hard for me to answer the question "which is a better deal", because in reality you're making a decision about a piece of hardware that really needs to "work/study" with you - and not just something for browsing, emails, internet etc.

I think that if you need your access, your data and your computational power "on the go" then you don't have any choice other than a laptop. You can buy a laptop with enough high end gear in it to perform almost as well as a desktop - save for the highest levels of graphics performance.

So to me the only benefit of the desktop is a (possibly) larger screen to work on and dual GTX 580s in SLi :)

And it doesn't really sound like you need the SLi configuration....................

That seems to point solidly to investing in a good laptop.