Do YOU use Intel speed stepping/AMD Cool & Quiet while overclocked

Do YOU use Intel speed stepping/ AMD Cool & Quiet while overclocked?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use throttling technologies like Intel Speedstep & C1E while your CPU is overclocked (After stability has been tested and established)?

• Yes
    • No
    • I switch it on and off ocassionally
  2. 2. Do you use throttling technologies like AMD Cool & Quiet, or PowerNOW! while your CPU is overclocked (After stability has been tested and established)?

• Yes
    • No
    • I switch it on and off ocassionally

How many of us like to run OC'd no matter what? How many of us like to see the CPU cool down when we're in using a spreadsheet? Do you think throttling could effect stability of an OC?

This is a continued discussion from the "i5-2500k idle temps seem outrageous." thread by markejoseph in an attempt to divert the hijacking of his thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by 90sgamer

How many of us like to run OC'd no matter what? How many of us like to see the CPU cool down when we're in using a spreadsheet? Do you think throttling could effect stability of an OC?

This is a continued discussion from the "i5-2500k idle temps seem outrageous." thread by markejoseph in an attempt to divert the hijacking of his thread. :thumbsup:

I don't use Intel speed step for my 4.5Ghz overclock. By turning off all those energy saving features stabilized my system.

I don't put my computer to sleep anymore either; when I did, it would occasional post with a "overclock failed" message. However will all the stuff disabled my system's stable and 11 hours+ of LinX proves that.

Both the overclocks on my qmd and Intel systems were too aggressive to support the idea of using any kind of throttling. It would be nice to use it but both systems went unstable after enabling the system.

Interesting results here. Its seems like the AMD overclockers use throttling less often.

For all of you that do use throttling at idle, do your voltages step down properly as well? If your voltages fail to step down (which I guess is the case on some x58 boards at least when voltages are manually set), is there a noticeable temperature reduction anyway? I believe that speedstepping etc reduces multiplier not baseclock / fsb, so it should scale proportionally to your OC-- unless you all have unlocked CPUs :P --, so if your voltages do step down, are they scaling properly to provide enough juice for the higher clocks?

F no! I didn't build a performance rig to have it throttle down the power. I cranked it up to where I want it and I want it to stay there :P

Im with you man.. i will usually try to see what kind of OC i can get maxed then throttle back to something acceptable for everyday. The I just ruin the chip that way until it burns or I get a new system. Even with the OC the chip will produce less heat when not running full tilt.