How to get 5.1 Audio from motherboard > Amp (optical in)

djdyna

As the topic title states how do I get 5.1 audio from the motherboard to my AMP, i know my HD5770 delivers audio direct though HDMI, but i have no way to get the 5.1 form that to my AMP, so i obviously need a cable from the motherboard to my amplifier.

Please help, thanx.

Here is a pic of the motherboard on it's own:

B5490.jpg

Full system PC specs:

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU
  • 4GB DDR2 Dual Channel 800Mhz Ram
  • Club 3D ATI HD5770 512MB
  • SyncMaster 920NW (1440x900 16:10)
  • 500GB Sata - 300GB Sata - 80GB IDE
  • HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH15F SCSI CdRom
  • Compro VideoMate S350 Digital Satellite TV Card
  • 2.1 Subwoofer Blue~Neon-Typhoon 66w
  • Trust 305KS Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse set.
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
  • MCP73PV MicroATX Motherboard
  • OCZ MODXSTREAM PRO Modular 600w

Edited by djdyna

A picture or diagram of the available ports on your amp would be a big help :)

Very few if any amps have six discrete mini-jack inputs so your solution will have to include converter cables from mini-jack to rca (assuming your amp has rca inputs).

Your motherboard manual should have instructions for pairing up the right/left/center/sub outputs from the onboard sound so they can be ported (two channel analog only) over to your amp. Then you'll have to hope that your amp can decode or fake 5.1 sound.

Disregard my previous post. After your latest update I see that you only have two optical inputs on the amp. Guess that completely trashes any ability to get analog mini or rca cables from your onboard sound to the AMP.

Quite possible that your only solution will be to add in a sound card that has optical outputs.......................

Quite possible that your only solution will be to add in a sound card that has optical outputs.......................

Either that, or change your motherboard to one that has the optical output directly. This one is the cheapest on Newegg.

To get true surround to your AMP in this instance, you can either run an optical cable from your motherboard (if it has one), but note that this solution will give you 5.1 ONLY from DVDs and films which are encoded with Dolby Digital & DTS surround. Any other sound with surround channels (such as games) would be converted to 2 channel PCM.

To get true surround from your games you will need a Sound card which has a digital encoder on board. Examples of this include the ASUS Xonar cards. These cards are capable of encoding audio into a 5.1 DTS interactive, or Dolby Digital Live stream.

Alternatively, depending on how good your AMP is, you could just be happy with 2 channel PCM, which the amp then stimulates to surround.

My media PC is connected to my AMP via HDMI. Any film I play with DTS/DD audio will get passed in true 5.1 sound to the amp, however games will only be passed in 2 channel. I dont find this a problem for my media PC, as the AMP is very good at emulating surround. (sure its not as good as true surround, but for casual living room gaming, its perfect!)

The last option which may be open to you, is your computer connected to a TV?

One of the my friends runs the following setup:

HD5770 via HDMI to Samsung TV. Samsung TV via optical to surround sound system. This allows him to avoid having to use an optical cable from the PC to the surround system. It also doubles up to allow all his connected devices on the TV to make use of the surround sound system. (It only has 2 optical in like yours) Works great, but as above, you only get true surround when playing DVDs/films with DTS/DD tracks.

Guys, his board doesn't have HDMI, digital or optical out.

His onboard sound is analog only via mini jack.

So his only two options are a different motherboard or a soundcard with optical outputs (as his amp only has optical in).

MCP73PV MicroATX Motherboard has internal connectors for a rear mounted slot bracket spdif out jacks. Find one bracket with optical out. The motherboard I purchased has the connector, but did not include the bracket in the mobo bundle.