RAM: 4 GB 1600Mhz or 6 GB 1333Mhz?

This is my system (or soon to be):

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430

Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2

Mobo: ASRock 870 Extreme3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Graphic: ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU 2DIS GD5 (1 GB)

I've read that Win7 64-bit needs at least 4 GB ram, but would 4 GB 1600 Mhz or 6 GB 1333 Mhz be the best choice?

I've found the cheapest:

- Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x2) 55$

- Kingston 6 GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x2) 70$

If you are going for real life performance, I suggest 6GB. I don't think there is a noticeable difference between 1600 and 1333 beside benchmarking, but you will notice a difference with 6GB over 4GB.

The 6gb is probably triple channel which your motherboard doesn't support, get the 4gb kit.

:withstupid:

I would go with more capacity before faster speed, plus Ive read the phenom memory controller doesn't handle speeds above 1333 very well sometimes and can be very hard on it and reduce life. Your better off tightening timings with 1333 over OCing to higher speeds. With 8gb kits being on sale for around 70-80$ that's what I would go with. (2x4gb sticks)

Edited by Ts631

The 6gb is probably triple channel which your motherboard doesn't support, get the 4gb kit.

he says in his post, its 2 3GB modules, not 3 2GB, so its still dual channel

edit-i misread, my bad. dang my random bouts of dyslexia

Edited by zackhaf

i wouldn't settle for anything less than 8gb these days considering most of the time it's the same price.

I say always quantity over speed. 8gb of 1066 is going to benefit you more than 4gb of 1600.

are they 3 GB modules on the market ?.... I have not seen yet

I dont think so. I think each module has to be a 1 or a multiple of 2, (ie 2,4,8,16). i think its due to how the ram is made? not too sure.