Windows 8 UI

_TheAlexO

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a big jump compared to what I've used from previous generations of windows and Mac. Almost like the interface you find on mobile phones today.

When he was demonstrating using word, notice the start menu in place. Does that mean what they were showing throughout the majority of the presentation was like a beefier version of windows media centre????

I know it's not finished yet, but from what the video shows, I think id prefer windows 7. IMO, a

Seems like a big jump compared to what I've used from previous generations of windows and Mac. Almost like the interface you find on mobile phones today.

When he was demonstrating using word, notice the start menu in place. Does that mean what they were showing throughout the majority of the presentation was like a beefier version of windows media centre????

I know it's not finished yet, but from what the video shows, I think id prefer windows 7. IMO, a

I'm going to guess that that is the touchscreen interface. At the very least I imagine it can be disabled.

I'm going to guess that that is the touchscreen interface. At the very least I imagine it can be disabled.

Of course it can. But what will it be then? Windows 7. They are trying to make apps as the main selling point for Windows 8, which means they aren't really going to change much of the programming on Windows 7.

Of course it can. But what will it be then? Windows 7. They are trying to make apps as the main selling point for Windows 8, which means they aren't really going to change much of the programming on Windows 7.

They've only put out one video. That's not exactly a business strategy. And besides, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think what they are shooting for is intergrating the interface across platforms. So you can move from your phone to a tablet or a PC and not change the interface more than limitations of screen size. This would make it easier for basic users since they only need to learn a single interface. Part of this as well is for better intergration of the use of touch screens, mostly of course for the tablet and phone but potentially on the full PC as well.

The interesting thing of note is that the enthusiats seem to be the ones the move the slowest when it comes to these kinds of changes. Look at the restance in moving from DOS to Windows 95 and from 98 to XP and from XP to Windows 7. Notice that in each of the examples I gave a generation of OS was sklipped before any real move was accepted.

Personally I do not like the new look, it seems dumbed down to me but that is the goal here.

Is that an official microsoft video? It doesn't look very official.<div><br></div><div>I think for anyone half decent with a computer and handy with a mouse the current interfaces are fine but it is just basic users who are just interested in photos, the internet and the music that this might appeal to. With a razer moues i'm happy zooming about the screen for much smaller icons and buttons, it would be a shame to see this go.</div>

Congratulations on catching up to things that others have had around for years now. :lol:

Basically what microsoft is doing is adding something that someone else already made. A good example of how this has been around for years is Cooliris or Rainmeter and there are even more than that out there. The only reason microsoft's stuff even takes off is because most people don't know about this stuff until it's shoved in their face.

The interesting thing of note is that the enthusiats seem to be the ones the move the slowest when it comes to these kinds of changes. Look at the restance in moving from DOS to Windows 95 and from 98 to XP and from XP to Windows 7. Notice that in each of the examples I gave a generation of OS was sklipped before any real move was accepted.

I would reckon that enthusiasts and people in general don't want to upgrade because microsoft charges $100s for their software and because they use a method of comparison that is rather dis-likable. Obviously I can't prove this but in my opinion microsoft makes terrible stuff on purpose to make the next mediocre product look better, that's why we see gaps, most people absolutely hate Windows ME, everyone loved XP, most people didn't like Vista, and now everyone loves Windows 7. It's like a country moving from a dictatorship to communism, after the dictatorship they're just happy to see the slightest improvement.