Car Mod Thread -- PICTURES!

BluePanda

hurry up and get those stripes on....it looks like one of those Highway cars and trucks...

nice orange though....reminds me of tony the tiger...IT"S GRRRREAT

We've got 3 more coats of orange to go (so done with the orange tomorrow night hopefully) and then stripes should be going on Thursday, as long as the weather plays nice. :D

Looking good...... I guess... i havent seen much difference the last couple coats.

Yeah - the camera doesn't do a great job of picking up the slight differences in color. It's definitely much more uniformly colored than the last few coats - a few more and it should be pretty perfect. :biggrin:

@Panda & Waco - correct and correct. It is a 240sx! It's a 1990 that I swapped out the SOHC for a DOHC (fully built, aka forged pistons, rods, bored, rotating assembly balanced with flywheel and clutch, arp hardware, clevite bearings, etc etc) and a 5spd for the auto that came in the car. The wiring harness IS kinda made, it's all of the wires for the low impedance 85lb (880cc) injectors that I had to wire into a resistor pack so I just taped them to the existing harness. I originally meant to clean up the looks by routing that big mess under the intake manifold but I knew I would be swapping out the stock injectors and wiring those in, and I didn't wanna have to take the intake mani off when I did that. Since now being turbo I think a blew out a seal somewhere on the intake mani today so I'll be taking it off soon to inspect, and get those wires tucked at the same time.

I DO plan on autocrossing it next semester. I was bummed to find out that there weren't going to be any hosted over the summer due to everyone leaving for their respective homes/etc but I understand. By then I'll have it all tuned and ready to go with suspension mods as well so it'll be on rails. As far as dyno-ing, hullz yeah. May not be for a little while though, I can do most of my tuning on the street (realtime map tracing with Nistune) and a lot of places charge out the ARSE to let you tune on THEIR dyno. Once I get the tune close, I'll pay for 3-5 pulls and run a different timing map on each one while using knock detection to find my threshold and where the return diminishes or begins to diminish. I'll probably wait for meth injection before I even go that far either. Right now the butt-dyno says about 330-350hp with a compressor housing pressure of 20psi (unsure of manifold pressure, I didn't have enough vacuum line on hand to reach that far - LOL) and some obvious boost leaks. Oh, and on used 205 tires and an open differential.

/wallsoftext

Looking better with each coat! I really would recommend to look into clear coating! If you don't, it could oxidize over the years...and look like arse later. Then again, I'm no chemist so I don't know how they'd react, but I doubt there'd be an issue especially once it's cured. If you're worried about spraying, if you have to take it to a shop and say "here's the clearcoat you need, it's prepped and masked off for you, do a good job spraying it and here's $100 for an hour of your time to spray a couple coats of clear". That's probably what I'm gonna do with the 240, I'll prime it, block it, bondo it, and mask it, then take it to a body shop and say "here's the easiest job you'll do, here's the paint, and here's some money to do it right" lol. Spraying is so hard to get right without the right tools and equipment! My roommate has a car that he sprayed himself in his yard (he actually built a booth - framed it with 2x4s, blocked it in with plastic, and had circulation fans with filters built into it too) and it looks great - but it was still a pain to get it looking as good as it does.

Wall of text indeed! :lol: I can't wait for autocross this fall - I had my car out at one this spring and it was a blast. :biggrin:

As for the clear - I'm still not sure about it - the paint we have is supposed to last outdoors in full sunlight on metal surfaces without fading or anything. I'm planning on keeping it well waxed when we're done.

You should definitely murder out the 240 in flat black. :P

Wall of text indeed! :lol: I can't wait for autocross this fall - I had my car out at one this spring and it was a blast. :biggrin:

Heck, even I took my car out for it. lol. Slow as heck but who cares when you get to push hard and take a four wheel slide around the corner? Lots of fun indeed. :D

We've actually been taking the pictures right after finishing painting - after wet-sanding it's much more smooth. :) We won't be doing clear coat because there's no real way to do it well without spraying it and I'm not sure how the paints would react to one another. The paint we're using is supposed to be extremely durable (much more so than regular car paint).

Ahh, so the pics are without wet sanding. Still, its fairly shiny even without that. The paint you're using is an outdoors paint then, like not an interior paint but an exterior one for patio furniture and the like?