Car Mod Thread -- PICTURES!

BluePanda

it looked better in its original color IMO as i hate orange

but it does look good so hope you enjoy it

Thanks. I hated the beige, that was the one thing I have hated about the car from day one -- that and it's lack of more than three gears. :P

I think the orange is a bit crazy -- but I also think the black tiger stripes will help tone it down a bit.

Looks nice. You should give it a blue trim and slap a couple OCC logos on it. :whistling:

ummm... nah, I think I tiger will be much cooler. lol. Unless Bosco would like to give me some money... haha :popcorn:

you plan on doing my car next, right?

for a small fee...

It's definitely getting better with every coat. Going to be very orange when you're all done with it. For the stripes, will you repeat the process with a few coats for the black and then wet sand everything?

I'm thoroughly impressed, I can't wait to see that thing riding around lol gonna be hard to miss!

While we're on the topic of car mods, I got this project finished saturday (adding the turbo) :D

2011-05-22_17-43-20_201.jpg

/threadjack lol

It's definitely getting better with every coat. Going to be very orange when you're all done with it. For the stripes, will you repeat the process with a few coats for the black and then wet sand everything?

We're using a spray enamel that matches the undercoating for the stripes, so it won't be as painful as the orange. :P We've been wet sanding between each orange coat -- but we've seemed to get the process down to about an hour and 30 min to wet sand the entire car and get a layer of orange on the entire body between the two of us. The black should only take one coat... maybe two if need be. Another wet sand and then we're about finished. After it sits for a few days well polish it and it will be nice and shinny! Should last for a few years too!

I'm thoroughly impressed, I can't wait to see that thing riding around lol gonna be hard to miss!

While we're on the topic of car mods, I got this project finished saturday (adding the turbo) :D

/threadjack lol

Very nice. I had a turbo badge on the back of my car for about a year now... haha. Just took it off to paint. I put it on to drive in the autocross on campus the one time with Waco. BTW Waco wants to know if it's a 240SX?

And you couldn't be more correct -- won't be hard to miss at ALL. lol

2011-05-22_17-43-20_201.jpg

/threadjack lol

Do I spy a handmade wiring harness with lots of electrical tape? :lol: Reminds me of the wiring mess that used to hide under the hood of my flat black Lumina (though that wiring was for the stereo instead of going fast :P). The fuel injectors and fuel lines look rather beefy as well...those can't be stock. :cool2:

You planning on getting it dyno'd or anything like that? Please tell me you're going to autocross it this fall!

Edited by Waco

We're using a spray enamel that matches the undercoating for the stripes, so it won't be as painful as the orange. :P We've been wet sanding between each orange coat -- but we've seemed to get the process down to about an hour and 30 min to wet sand the entire car and get a layer of orange on the entire body between the two of us. The black should only take one coat... maybe two if need be. Another wet sand and then we're about finished. After it sits for a few days well polish it and it will be nice and shinny! Should last for a few years too!

Nice, that should be good then. Looking forward to more pics of the progress. It already looks like a solid color of orange, fairly shiny too with all the wet sanding. You said you won't be clear coating it right? How come?

Mmm... Sexy turbo! I miss my turbo. I should say I miss the sound of the spooling and then the loud BOV during shifting...

Right now I have a supercharger. While I do love the Whine it makes.. I still miss the turbo lol!

Nice, that should be good then. Looking forward to more pics of the progress. It already looks like a solid color of orange, fairly shiny too with all the wet sanding. You said you won't be clear coating it right? How come?

We've actually been taking the pictures right after finishing painting - after wet-sanding it's much more smooth. :) We won't be doing clear coat because there's no real way to do it well without spraying it and I'm not sure how the paints would react to one another. The paint we're using is supposed to be extremely durable (much more so than regular car paint).

I must say. That Rattle Can Special paint job is looking pretty good.

If we were spraying it, sure, this would make sense. :lol:

So hows coat 6 coming. I amazed it isn't drying in minutes, we cant have too different weather from you, and it hit 92F yesterday.

EDIT: Just looked at a map, it is a bit of distance. Still,..

Edited by SpeedCrazy

So hows coat 6 coming. I amazed it isn't drying in minutes, we cant have too different weather from you, and it hit 92F yesterday.

EDIT: Just looked at a map, it is a bit of distance. Still,..

I'll have pictures of coat 6 up after we get 7 on this morning -- was a bit busy to get them up yesterday. It is that hot here, but it does take the paint longer to dry.

Unfortunately looking at the weather forecast -- things might have to go on hold for a couple of days. But it changes every day, so everyone do your rain dance and get the rain to get away from here!

7 and 8 today -- will have pictures! :D