Diablo 3

tkrow21

Actually, old school PC games often had larger manuals/extras than any console game. They often used the literature as a form of copy protection, telling you to turn to page X and type in word Y in sentence Z.

Those were the best. I have some old (1980s) D&D PC games where the "manual" is essentially a 150 page rule book. :lol:

Actually, old school PC games often had larger manuals/extras than any console game. They often used the literature as a form of copy protection, telling you to turn to page X and type in word Y in sentence Z.

Oh, I stand corrected than. :P

My old, old PC games were like Baldurdash, some hack-n-slash barbarian game, Zepplin I want to say, rat race and some racing game where the mines popped cars up in the air like springs instead of blowing them up. :lol:

None of those had any decent documentation. I don't even think my friend's Privateer 2 had documentation.

Oh, I stand corrected than. :P

My old, old PC games were like Baldurdash, some hack-n-slash barbarian game, Zepplin I want to say, rat race and some racing game where the mines popped cars up in the air like springs instead of blowing them up. :lol:

None of those had any decent documentation. I don't even think my friend's Privateer 2 had documentation.

Adventure games and RPGs tended to have the beefy documentation, though even some games you think wouldn't did, like Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Adventure games and RPGs tended to have the beefy documentation, though even some games you think wouldn't did, like Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Well then I think consoles were more consistent in the old days. No matter the game the manuals were pretty thick, typically had artwork the people you met, fought and controlled. Some of them had walkthroughs for the first couple of stages. The RPGs had maps, some had material of the classes you could get or the items you found in game.

Whether PC or Console wins in best documentation really doesn't matter to me, but I really miss those days. I use to enjoy skimming the manuals and drawing my favorite characters while looking at the artwork inside.

Well then I think consoles were more consistent in the old days. No matter the game the manuals were pretty thick, typically had artwork the people you met, fought and controlled. Some of them had walkthroughs for the first couple of stages. The RPGs had maps, some had material of the classes you could get or the items you found in game.

Whether PC or Console wins in best documentation really doesn't matter to me, but I really miss those days. I use to enjoy skimming the manuals and drawing my favorite characters while looking at the artwork inside.

Not sure how old you are, but I wouldn't call the early console manuals thick. You often got a control scheme page and maybe a little bit of lore...Rarely was there a manual over ten pages...they were pretty much like you see today.

I still have an encyclopedia from Zork, a planetary guidebook from Deadlock (turn-based strategy game, so like I said, other genres did include lots of docs too), a book containing character bios for all the combatants in Street Fighter 2, and probably even more lying around somewhere.

My Rally Championship 2000 manual for PC had at least 40 or 50 pages in A5 size. :P

The other manuals I do have from consoles, they did have more than 10 pages, because they did it in various languages. :P

Not sure how old you are, but I wouldn't call the early console manuals thick. You often got a control scheme page and maybe a little bit of lore...Rarely was there a manual over ten pages...they were pretty much like you see today.

I still have an encyclopedia from Zork, a planetary guidebook from Deadlock (turn-based strategy game, so like I said, other genres did include lots of docs too), a book containing character bios for all the combatants in Street Fighter 2, and probably even more lying around somewhere.

Well now that I think about it more, I think you are right. PC boxes are thicker which allowed for thicker manuals. I guess I just didn't buy too many games that supplied big manuals for me to remember them too well.

Sadly I sold my original NES when i was a little kid (read stupid kid) so I can't refer back for proof. I'm not a location where I can view gaming websites, but here is a video of the NES Metroid Instruction manual. More than 10 pages in it - see the video to see just how many. :P I use to draw the picture on page 11 - the one on the left, not right. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7bXVIfM3A

Well now that I think about it more, I think you are right. PC boxes are thicker which allowed for thicker manuals. I guess I just didn't buy too many games that supplied big manuals for me to remember them too well.

Sadly I sold my original NES when i was a little kid (read stupid kid) so I can't refer back for proof. I'm not a location where I can view gaming websites, but here is a video of the NES Metroid Instruction manual. More than 10 pages in it - see the video to see just how many. :P I use to draw the picture on page 11 - the one on the left, not right. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7bXVIfM3A

I still have near me two games for Sega Mega Drive (best known as Sega Genesis). :P

I have more, but I don't know right now where are them. :P

Actually... I think my Mega Drive still works, I don't have sure. I don't turn it on for a long time. :P

Supposedly there is no NDA for Diablo III beta...

is that true?

Yes there is no NDA for Diablo 3 beta.

As somebody that is in the beta (and loves it), let me know if there is anything you would like to know or see. I seem to have a lot of time free up until May 15th for some reason....

Also, pre-ordered the CE from Amazon as soon as I could find my dang gift certificates. Blizzard has always made their CEs worth getting, unlike other companies. Only other game I have seen that has a decent CE (non-Blizzard) was The Old Republic...