Dan's Computer News Updates and Stuff...

Yeah it runs bf3 ok. A little slower than some in game, maybe ping, maybe hardware. I think if I upgrade to a single OCed GTX 580 the processor and board will be fine. But a double SLI and I think will need an upgrade on the CPU side.

I maybe in the market for a upgrade//rebuild in a few months. Although by that time we will be looking foward a few more months for nvidia to match amds 3.0 offerings, sandy bridge e will be fully characterized, ivy bridge will be imminent and maybe some kind of official comment on what kind of socket ivy bridge e will fall. With that i should be able to make a good build desicion. That is, some time after March. Just wanted to just double check here about bd and amd. Thanks.

Yeah I hope piledriver is not outmatched at the time.

It will be a complete rebuild including a motherboard at the time if I switch to intel so I will be having a fresh look at both sides at the time. I'll give AMD another look before final decision.

Most of my computers have been AMD since 200mhz. It's sad they've been humbled by the giant. Let's see.

The first link is important. AMDs new 10 serries chipset motherboard won't have pcie 3.0 support. You gotta be kidding me.

Intel boards already claim to support pcie 3.0.

If this is true amd is in a bit of trouble with enthusiast and gaming PC builders. Amd itself probably will survive just fine with more laptop, notebook and server sales. But I'm not in the market for any of these. This is post bulldozer disappointment 1. (strike 1)

Edited by engstudent

Until I decide if I'm upset about the 10 series not supporting PCIe 3.0, I'll wait and see if there's an appreciable difference between PCIe 2 and 3. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's needed. After all, we're not even seeing much of a difference between 8x and 16x for PCIe 2 and it's been out how long now? My guess is PCIe 3 will be barely different from PCIe 2 when it first comes out, and by the time the differences are noticeable, we'll have the 11 series with full PCIe 3 support.

NOOOOOOOOO!, But hopefully this means they won't mess it up like BD.

Quote from the article

"Fortunately, the new high-end single GPU offering is projected to bring performance levels close to the Radeon HD 6990 dual-GPU flagship card, which means that performance enthusiasts will be interested to buy it even in the first quarter, a slow season for graphics cards."

:snap:

Edited by Black6464

Until I decide if I'm upset about the 10 series not supporting PCIe 3.0, I'll wait and see if there's an appreciable difference between PCIe 2 and 3. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's needed. After all, we're not even seeing much of a difference between 8x and 16x for PCIe 2 and it's been out how long now? My guess is PCIe 3 will be barely different from PCIe 2 when it first comes out, and by the time the differences are noticeable, we'll have the 11 series with full PCIe 3 support.

I think this is a great point. We have seen a lot of so called imprvements that at the end of the day have been farily yawbers in hardware. SATA 3.0 gives a nice boost in benchmarks but with the exception of the top end SSDs the speed boost is not really anything in real world usage and even then it is really only impressive in benchmarks. USB3 was suppose to be the second coming that would make USB into something incredible and yet again we see in the real world only a modest change to the computing experience and then only in large file transfer times. Look at your keyboard, or USB headset, mouse or even printer, USB 3 did nothing for what they deliver in real use.

My foil hat theory on this is pretty simple and fits the events as they have unfolded. Look at the hardware we have seen over the last few cycles. The CPU while faster for sure has not really done anything that drastically changes the computing esxperience. New chipsets have given us a bunch of new features hut really a yawn when we look at them in the light of what the real world usage experience is. Video cards have made great strides with some amazing features and yet look at the fact that DX9 games still look great even when compared to DX11 and while we have gotten more pwoer for less money there has been little in any real change in the way they work or what they offer. The truth is hardware has far outpaced software and we still so no sign of things coming to balance in the future. There is less and less compelling reason to upgrade every scycle and hardware companies are scared by that. So they pull a new standard out of the hat or create a new platform and they package in a few neat sounding extras and sell us a whole new build.