Dan's Computer News Updates and Stuff...

I would enjoy a stock LCS but again, it doesn't seem reasonable given the extra price associated and the fact that warranty claims would go through the roof.

On an unrelated note, the trolling in the comments section of that website made my head explode :whoa:

exactly :biggrin:

A friend of mine can reach 5.7GHz on a Sandy 2600k on air cooling . Its stability and degradation due to voltage that you have to look out for .

Not many people can do that on air, so I wouldn't use that as a good justification for averages of Sandy 2600K's.

People also have to remember that not every chip is going to cool the exact same and not every person installation is going to be the same. Neither are heatsinks 100% alike. If you can get a decent overclock and perform all the tasks you need at a reasonable temperature, then that is all that matters..

Not many people can do that on air, so I wouldn't use that as a good justification for averages of Sandy 2600K's.

And many people can on BD's ? They havent even been released :P

I was just proving a point , someone says a BD can get to 5.3GHz on air but Sandy can get that easily on air but both of those have not been declared stable which means that everything is irrelevant since people look for stability

Bullcrap.

Actually your post is , you state no argument as to proving it was not

Just checked what he did again , it turns out 5.5GHz was on air and his magic 5.7GHz chip was on water cooling before moved to LN2 for benching Vantage.

Heres his 5.7GHz on WC run : http://hwbot.org/submission/2159363_vivi_superpi_core_i7_2600k_6sec_485ms

Perhaps you should google him Drdeath , his name is Vivi and he is the number 2 LN2 overclocker in South Africa. Heres an article on him : http://cde.cerosmedia.com/1J4dee3ccf46d30650.cde - Go to Page 6 & 7

The LN2 guys here go through a process of binning 2600k's . You buy one , stick it in your mobo with its stock cooler . Set voltage to 1.55v and multi to 55x .

If it boots you take it over to water and see how far it can get .

Once you dial in on its best clock you take it over to LN2 for world record benching .

If it doesnt boot at 55x or its max clock is too low then you sell it and buy another one and the process repeats until you find one capable of 56x or higher (57x is usually the most desired).

Usually takes about 5 chips to find a decent one .

Nearly every LN2 oc'er bins a chip for 5.5GHz on its stock cooler because if it doesnt get loaded by games/prime 95 the temps stay in safe limits .

Bulldozer hasnt even been released so how can we even compare BD oc's to SB oc's ?? Its all speculation and probably photoshop .

When BD is released we will see how it does .

I can believe that someone made a system boot at 5.5Ghz on air, however that system being usable is another story. A lot of people out there make wild overclocking claims but what they fail to tell you is that those claims have a ton of limitations to them. Many fo the claims of high overclocks might work well for an hour or two of use for benchmarking but then begin to fail. Others might do the overclocking in rooms cooled to 50F to begin with to help with cooling. Still others have so much fan noise being generated to cool the device that they can only hear their games clearly using headsets.

I'll be honest super high overclock numbers do not really impress me, they are ususally not practical for real life, everyday use. Instead they are now the Ferrari of the computer world, something to make the persons epeen feel bigger. At the end of the day they are all flash and no substance.

I can believe that someone made a system boot at 5.5Ghz on air, however that system being usable is another story. A lot of people out there make wild overclocking claims but what they fail to tell you is that those claims have a ton of limitations to them. Many fo the claims of high overclocks might work well for an hour or two of use for benchmarking but then begin to fail. Others might do the overclocking in rooms cooled to 50F to begin with to help with cooling. Still others have so much fan noise being generated to cool the device that they can only hear their games clearly using headsets.

I'll be honest super high overclock numbers do not really impress me, they are ususally not practical for real life, everyday use. Instead they are now the Ferrari of the computer world, something to make the persons epeen feel bigger. At the end of the day they are all flash and no substance.

:withstupid:

This links back to what I said :

people look for stability

I'd agree to a point Ed. 100% in agreement concerning practicality and every day use. But I think it's a poor generalization to say these people do it to make their epeen feel bigger, all flash and no substance. For this select group of hard core overclockers, this is their passion, desire, hobby, holy grail or whatever you want to call it. It is what they do and who they are. It's a competition, just like car racing, competitive fishing, golfing, softball whatever. I think that some of us are hard wired to be competitive, regardless of what we choose to invest in or spend our leisure time doing. That doesn't necessarily mean that we do it to make our golf "balls" feel bigger, or our fishing "rods" feel bigger, or our alcohol fuel tanks "engorged". If you get my drift :)

Personally, I always think there is an allure or attraction in doing something very few others can do. Is it practical, worth while, or even safe sometimes? Sometimes not so much so, but that won't stop me from trying :)

http://lenzfire.com/...is-ready-99618/ Yay? The 8120 looks ok? I think the actual clock speeds would of been higher but they want to make the TurboCore 2.0 seem amazing?

http://lenzfire.com/...inalised-24475/ Old...

http://news.softpedi...Us-216649.shtml Yay :)

http://news.softpedi...rt-212023.shtml Already posted? I think the new cores will actually need the bandwidth?

http://news.softpedi...pe-215918.shtml Thats good cause it used to be like 180 euro...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AFOX-Starts-Selling-Low-Profile-AMD-Radeon-HD-6850-in-Japan-215631.shtml That is cool...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

And many people can on BD's ? They havent even been released :P

I was just proving a point , someone says a BD can get to 5.3GHz on air but Sandy can get that easily on air but both of those have not been declared stable which means that everything is irrelevant since people look for stability

No I just meant that 5.7ghz for the 2600K is great and all, but I have seen more people get less than that as their top stable OC. So yea it could be at the top, but the average of overclocks won't be that high. Just saying because it seemed like you meant that all 2600K's can get up that high on air cooling.

Actually your post is , you state no argument as to proving it was not

He's usually pretty blunt and doesn't always think before he posts...

Anywho - BD can't get here fast enough! :popcorn:

• ir_cow unpinned this topic