Dan's Computer News Updates and Stuff...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/release-date-pushed-back-a-month-for-amd-bulldozer-desktop-processors/6652

Reports are now saying a month delay, Bulldozers in October. I'm guessing end of October or November at best imo. Delays are always longer than first anticipated. Some reports say they have a material shortage, others say they are tweaking the chips since the i7-2700K will be out as well as a new "Extreme" series from Intel, thus making the Bulldozer impact much less.

That last argument makes sense, since if the new chips can match or better an i7-2600K, a faster version may just pop the AMD balloon and ruin the launch reviews.

the article where posted 6 september, plus a month means next week...

Ive been looking at the boards at microcenter seeing if there was a FM1 board I liked

the way they have it in the ad, it looks like only llano is coming, who knows about bulldozer

I was thinking about maybe going with a micro board this time but lack of USB space may be a problem

here is this month's ad page

Edited by potatochobit

Okay, here are a couple new Tidbits concerning the New AMD Processor. One is that the Oct. 12th release date that has been floated around has officially been confirmed by Micro Center as of two days ago, Oct. 4th. Second is this nice Posting of AMD Processors all nice, neat and Tidy. I think even Locutus would like it. :evilgrin:

AMD Valencia Tech Stats

"Opteron 4284 8 cores 3 GHz 75 Watt"

That's actually pretty good in terms of clock speeds and power consumption for a server chip!

Edited by Waco

I am starting to wonder if they used the FX branding to increase sales

-not because they were confident in their product

that's sad, I lived in austin for over 20years right down the street from AMD

well, still too early to judge, need to see what kind of numbers they pump out when overclocked

8ghz is pretty funny, but I would say most users only need 3 cores on a daily basis

• 4 weeks later...

@Dan The Gamer,

Thank You Dan. Decent reads.

Thing is would they actually work? It seems W8 has a 5% boost with FX cpus and that's Alpha? AMD needs to optimize it too though... so it'll be 15% faster if you use a Piledriver cpu and Windows 8... nearly Phenom 2 speeds...

Somebody help me out here. I'm trying to rationalize an upgrade to my gaming machine with a bulldozer. Or even a reason to stick with AMD next year.

Next up for amd maybe to release better clocked bulldozers and the new piledriver, these may improve performance by 5-15%. For piledriver I would need a new motherboard I'm pretty sure.

Piledriver may, if amd starts getting it's act together, match a current i7 2700k.

Yet at that time we will have even better offerings from intel. Check ivy bridge and a Z77 board with great overclocking options, lower TDP, higher possible memory speeds and a 10-15% performance improvement over sandybridge.

If I'm going to need a new board, besides a processor to be sure a videocard isn't bottlenecked by CPU why would I want to stick with AMD?

Buy Intel then... BD is really so far a server chip so unless you will use the cores to the max or use W8 then BD's performance will be the same(10% faster in media with piledriver...) just buy a SB... AMD is having the same fiasco that Intel had with Hyperthreading... so it seems like you already know what you want...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Somebody help me out here. I'm trying to rationalize an upgrade to my gaming machine with a bulldozer. Or even a reason to stick with AMD next year.

Next up for amd maybe to release better clocked bulldozers and the new piledriver, these may improve performance by 5-15%. For piledriver I would need a new motherboard I'm pretty sure.

There is no need to rationalize anything, based on the system in your sig you should be fine for another cycle, the only reason to upgrade would bee because you like to benchmark. I mean if you are having issues with a program and NEED more horse power then I get that and you should explore your options but based on your sig you should not be in bad shape. A 1090T with a 5850 should still have a lot of life left in it.

• ir_cow unpinned this topic