Dark Souls

WhenKittensATK

Well I just tried playing this again, on my laptop this time because it can't be played with multiple monitors, and I can't even get through the tutorial. Honestly guys, this is definitely something you want to try before you buy, and you will definitely want to have a 360 controller handy, I wish I did and I hate those controllers, that's just how terrible the keyboard and mouse controls are.

Yours truly, Mr. Terribly Frustrated

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just tried playing this again, on my laptop this time because it can't be played with multiple monitors, and I can't even get through the tutorial. Honestly guys, this is definitely something you want to try before you buy, and you will definitely want to have a 360 controller handy, I wish I did and I hate those controllers, that's just how terrible the keyboard and mouse controls are.

Yours truly, Mr. Terribly Frustrated

Glad you wrote that. I've been contemplating about getting it, however, this puts me off. I don't have a 360 controller and won't get one. Guess I'll just have to try it somewhere someday.

Even if you were to have a controller, the game is still not optimized for pc. It's capped at 30fps, but most of the time it will much lower than that. The only hope for this game is Durante who's been working on his mod since release. It's a pretty damn good mod but not worth buying the game and a controller. Otherwise the game has potential. I'd say it's better than skyrim even in it's current state.

Here's some of what the mod has accomplished:

Default settings, 1024x720 render resolution @ 1920x1080

1024x720xozqm.png

1920x1080 render resolution @1920x1080, 1080 dof setting, no smaa

1920x1080ybxmv.png

6400x3600 render resolution @ 1920x1080, 1080 dof setting, ultra smaa

6400x3600ultrasmaa91yg1.png

This one is taken a bit later when the mod introduced blur and SSAO (settings for this are: 3840x2160 render res, 1080 dof, 4 smaa, 1 ssao, 2 gaussian blur)

screenshot_2012-09-091yshw.png

suck it up and get a 360 controller, they are like $20 used. It's true that the keyboard and mouse makes it unplayable. But the game runs smoother than the xbox version with higher textures. Well worth the trade off and the 360 control is great for this type of game.

suck it up and get a 360 controller, they are like $20 used. It's true that the keyboard and mouse makes it unplayable. But the game runs smoother than the xbox version with higher textures. Well worth the trade off and the 360 control is great for this type of game.

For those like me that hate the 360 controller, and much prefer the PS3 controller, this is for you! :D

I haven't fully tested this out yet, but right now it seems to be working with the main menu at least, the video is handy for simply introducing you to the program. I personally could not get it working with the video instructions but in the comments you will find that others have simply used the 360 emulator and that works fine with the PS3 controller.

Edit: I'm playing a little bit with it now, controls feel flawless, highly recommend giving this a try if you have PS3 controller. :thumbsup:

Edit again: this also works with Steam's Big Picture mode, fancy. :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIMreDFSsC8

Edited by Deathmineral

1) The controller is on the light side, I don't feel like i'm holding anything (yes thats a bad thing) 2). the back buttons have been moved slightly so now you can barely press L1 and R1. Than you can R2 and L2 that are long and curved so you fingers slide off. Lastly this ons is 50/50 because i lose to love the analog sticks next to each other but I prefer the 360 layout better now.

The 360 controller has some small issues like the Dpad but otherall it's prefect.

1) The controller is on the light side, I don't feel like i'm holding anything (yes thats a bad thing) 2). the back buttons have been moved slightly so now you can barely press L1 and R1. Than you can R2 and L2 that are long and curved so you fingers slide off. Lastly this ons is 50/50 because i lose to love the analog sticks next to each other but I prefer the 360 layout better now.

The 360 controller has some small issues like the Dpad but otherall it's prefect.

What? Glad I don't rely on you weigh my groceries at the store. :lol: I just so happen to have a PS2 controller and PS3 controller handy, both are the default controllers that came with their respective consoles, and just from feel alone, I can tell the PS3 controller is heavier. Which is saying something because the PS2 controller has a considerably larger amount of dust to it. If need be, I can prove this one.

Got any proof on that second complaint or did you get bit by a radioactive spider and just ended up with smaller hands?

I will give you L2 and R2, that was poor design and should have been more like the 360 triggers. That still doesn't really support your idea of keeping them like the PS2 controller however, and really that's probably why they didn't go with a trigger design like the 360 controller. Anyone that's ever used the $5 aftermarket trigger attachments probably knows what I mean when I say it's pretty uncomfortable and unnatural on your fingers.

Preference is not a legit complaint. Sausage pizza is not a poor design because you prefer pepperoni. :lol: