Crazy Winter Ice Storm About to Cover the Midwest

Speedway

In the midwest United States, we are supposed to be hit with a very bad ice storm tonight. They are predicting at least 2+ inches of ice, which will cover everything. Possibly putting too much weight on the power lines, which in turn could bring them down, causing major power outages. Most likely, if we get the weather they are predicting everything will shut down: schools, business, everything! Now, I don't really mind if I am trapped in my home for a few days, as long as I have power! But, won't know until later this evening how this storm will affect my area, but I know many other OCC members are probably going to be affected by this winter ice storm as well.

I know I just went to the grocery store to stock up on the necessities, just in case and it was madness! Everyone else was doing the same thing, and my local grocery store had turned into a crazy scene. I'm sure there might have been some fire marshall codes broken with the number of people in the store, you could barely even more around. But, I managed to make it out unharmed, with milk and bread in hand ;) Anyone else going to have to deal with this ice storm? Anyone else worried about losing power and heat?

Not to make light of ur situation but when ever I see scenarios like this play out on the tube, its funny how a little bit of bad weather plays havoc on peeps who aren't familiar with it. Cars sliding all over the place with mere inches of snow on the ground, emergency vehicles out in full force, people in a mad panic...etc I live in Canada and we see this stuff 2 or 3 months out of the year. Trust me its not that big of a deal. Having said that, there are parts of my country go ape crap as well, when a little bit of bad weather hits them, cause they don't see as much snow as my home province does. Anyway try to calm I'm sure everything will be fine.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to make light of ur situation but when ever I see scenarios like this play out on the tube, its funny how a little bit of bad weather plays havoc on peeps who aren't familiar with it. Cars sliding all over the place with mere inches of snow on the ground, emergency vehicles out in full force, people in a mad panic...etc I live in Canada and we see this stuff 2 or 3 months out of the year. Trust me its not that big of a deal. Having said that, there are parts of my country go ape crap as well, when a little bit of bad weather hits them, cause they don't see as much snow as my home province does. Anyway try to calm I'm sure everything will be fine.

It's always interesting to see people with southern license plates attempt to drive in snow/ice. I personally stay out of their way because normally they either take it entirely too fast or wayyyy too slow (no offense to any southerners here ;) )

But after this massive "2 inch" layer of ice that we are supposed to get tonight they are calling for 10-15 inches of snow. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad because I know Purdue will not cancel classes unless hit with an atomic bomb...

Here in Indiana, we deal with snow every winter, so we're pretty used to it. Heck give me 12-16 inches of snow, thats not the problem. The ice is what is bad. We are supposed to get like 2 inches of ice through the night, prob like 1/2" already, then the 12-16 inches of snow is supposed to come down on top of the ice, lol! The prob is the wieght of the ice on the power lines, cause if all we were getting was the snow, it wouldn't even be an issue. But, I know what your talking about, with people freaking out. I have family in Dallas, Texas, and one year during Christmas it snowed like 1.5 inches and the people were acting crazy. They couldn't drive is was a crazy sight, all the while I'm sitting there like people, it's just a tiny bit of snow. It was hilarious :biggrin:

we are supposed to get 25 inches of snow, and the snow blowers are sold out, all of them, every where, no snow blowers, every orscheln is out of stock, every sears, there are no snow blowers in kansas!

im supposed to buy a new car this week but it doesnt look like its going to happen till next week

It's always interesting to see people with southern license plates attempt to drive in snow/ice. I personally stay out of their way because normally they either take it entirely too fast or wayyyy too slow (no offense to any southerners here ;) )

Tell me about it. *sigh*

We 7 inches 2 weeks ago. The number of wrecks and ruined mailboxes you would not believe. Though it is really satisfying to watch someone slowly slide backwards down our hill after being stuck behind them all the way home. They just dont listen to being to told to go faster, they think if they hit 10mph they will spin out. :lol:

fit hit the shan as Toby Kieth said lol it started icing on boinker and I's territory about 9:30pm CST and i decided to just stay at work tonight so i get to sleep on the floor or the more comfy option sleep at my desk in my chair with my feet propped up on a low drawer on my desk :)

I have made a living driving in this state. been on one wreck and got stuck once. I have been on call 24 hours driving in the worst conditions Oklahoma has to offer. and Neither of the two incidents were in ill conditions.