Overclocking Q9450

Asinorum

Hey I really appreciate that, but after talking with my friend I'm probably just gonna throw in some decent RAM that is rated for 1066MHz and 2.0+volts. However, I would like everyone's opinion on some RAM to pick up. I don't want to spend over $100. My choices so far:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820104098 ----Kingston HyperX

or

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231246 ---G. Skill Pi

One thing though. I heard 1066MHz RAM, a lot of it is really just 800MHz that has been factory tested to run at 1066MHz and you will have to overclock it to run at 1066MHz. Is that true? If so, should I just buy really good 800MHz RAM and just overclock it?

I live in Michigan btw :thumbsup:

No joke huh? Im from Michigan as well... Isnt the weather grand?? Lol, What part of Michigan are you in? Im in the southeastern area, near~ish detroit.

Ive never had any personal usage experience with Kingston, but people speak very highly of them. I do like G.Skill...

If your gonna buy new ram, definitely buy 1066mhz ram. You may or may not be able to OC 800mhz ram to that speed, but what your getting with the 1066 is that you KNOW its going to get to 1066. Will help with overclocking!

No joke huh? Im from Michigan as well... Isnt the weather grand?? Lol, What part of Michigan are you in? Im in the southeastern area, near~ish detroit.

Ive never had any personal usage experience with Kingston, but people speak very highly of them. I do like G.Skill...

If your gonna buy new ram, definitely buy 1066mhz ram. You may or may not be able to OC 800mhz ram to that speed, but what your getting with the 1066 is that you KNOW its going to get to 1066. Will help with overclocking!

Yeah the weather sucks, haha. I live in the metro Detroit area, in Macomb county.

New RAM on the way, going with the 1066MHz.

No joke huh? Im from Michigan as well... Isnt the weather grand?? Lol

Yeah the weather sucks, haha. I live in the metro Detroit area, in Macomb county.

I dont know what you guys are talking about....its a warm and balmy 14 F today....

q9450s lower multiplier of 8 will make overclocking it harder since the fsb has to be so high. 3.6-4 GHz shouldnt be hard if you know what your doing and have the right stuff... 500fsb is easy on p35 and p45 chipsets also but more then that starts getting difficult with the ram thrown in running out of room so word of wisdom get some high-speed capable ram to go with it!

For maximal effect I'd go with lapping and grid modding it... but you might not be able to get 500 with that motherboard as i don't have firsthand experience with it but iirc those nvidia chipsets didnt like to oc real high :unsure:

I just took an E6850 to 3.90Ghz. It took a Long time but it got there..

Bishop thought his E6850 was a dud

This E6850 Was overclocked on a Evga 750I sli board on air cooling.

My settings are posted in there Though they may not transfer over well to your chip. they can give you an Idea of what I had to do to get that up there. I think I had the SPP/NB voltage and the FSB voltage maxed out by 3.80 and with the v core @1.55 (note: this is well over manufacture safe spec) and with that I had to give it 1.65v to get too 3.90ghz.

Also, What is your LDT multiplier or frequency? have you guys tried lowering that to help stable it out?

New RAM on the way, going with the 1066MHz.

I dont know what you guys are talking about....its a warm and balmy 14 F today....

Low of 3 degrees F tonight!! With negative 15-20F wind chills WOO WOO! GOnna be SO nice tonight.

I just took an E6850 to 3.90Ghz. It took a Long time but it got there..

Bishop thought his E6850 was a dud

This E6850 Was overclocked on a Evga 750I sli board on air cooling.

My settings are posted in there Though they may not transfer over well to your chip. they can give you an Idea of what I had to do to get that up there. I think I had the SPP/NB voltage and the FSB voltage maxed out by 3.80 and with the v core @1.55 (note: this is well over manufacture safe spec) and with that I had to give it 1.65v to get too 3.90ghz.

Also, What is your LDT multiplier or frequency? have you guys tried lowering that to help stable it out?

I left all that at stock settings. The only things I changed were what I posted. I'm pretty sure this overclock is super stable @ 3.6GHz. It has so far passed 12.5 hours doing small FFT's in prime95, 5 hours doing large FFT's and 10 hours doing Blend with zero errors. I've also now installed 1066MHz G. Skill Pi RAM. The only thing I saw that I'm curious about now is what enabling SLI Ready Memory does? I have the option now to enable it in my BIOS with this new RAM, but I'm not sure exactly what it does and if there is any benefit?