New Power supply time!.....again : /

Seasonic 750xit's the best of the best and won't blow up with anything under 900watts. it's $150 at the egg and well worth it. also the XFX is the same psu but with a different label, i rather get it from the maker not the brander.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/837

i forgot who makes muskin psus now but last i check it wasn't a very good company, i could be wrong.

Makers are Dongguan, Zhangmotou and Topower. i don't know about the other companys but Topower makes psus for some crappy companys: Athenatech, Be Quiet!, BFG, Dynapower, Hipro, OCZ (Modstream), RaidMax and Spire. most of those brands cant even hold its own load before failing.

Real PSU Makers

Edited by hornybluecow

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasonic 750xit's the best of the best and won't blow up with anything under 900watts. it's $150 at the egg and well worth it. also the XFX is the same psu but with a different label, i rather get it from the maker not the brander.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/837

i forgot who makes muskin psus now but last i check it wasn't a very good company, i could be wrong.

Makers are Dongguan, Zhangmotou and Topower. i don't know about the other companys but Topower makes psus for some crappy companys: Athenatech, Be Quiet!, BFG, Dynapower, Hipro, OCZ (Modstream), RaidMax and Spire. most of those brands cant even hold its own load before failing.

Real PSU Makers

I agree,i heard some rumors that corsair just re-brands their psus. :withstupid:

No one's mentioned them yet, so I'll throw them out there - I've never had a bad experience with Antec. I used an Earthwatt 650W PSU for 3 years no problem, and now have one of their NEO ECO PSU's in my rig (see sig below), it helped that I got it when is was a Newegg.com Shellshocker. Got it for $34.99 after all discounts and rebates.

If you don't want to go with the Earthwatts or NEO ECO lines, Antec's Signature Series seems to be very nice.

Edited by pkilway

I agree,i heard some rumors that corsair just re-brands their psus. :withstupid:

Most major sellers do. Same with laptops. Dell doesn't actually make Dell laptops, Quanta does. Apple only just started producing their own, before that it was Asus.

The only PSU ODM that I know of that sells their own brand is Seasonic. Corsair hawks CWT PSUs which range from average (TX750) to superb (HX850.) Antec sells Delta PSUs, which tend to be consistently above average. However, the brands are still in charge of their own parts and construction, they just don't create the design, so you will see a difference between a Corsair CWT DSG and a Thermaltake CWT DSG.

However, the brands are still in charge of their own parts and construction, they just don't create the design, so you will see a difference between a Corsair CWT DSG and a Thermaltake CWT DSG.

You know this for a fact?

That article posted by hornybluecow indicates otherwise. It explains that they design their products and then outsource the production.

You know this for a fact?

That article posted by hornybluecow indicates otherwise. It explains that they design their products and then outsource the production.

You know how you can go on Cyberpower and order a "Mega Infinity 6000 Lightning" (seriously, who the hell names those things? ...Anyway)

and put in an i7-980X and SLi GTX580s and have them use their "pro construction and shipping?" And I could go there and have them make the "same computer" with an i7-930 and HD5750?

It is basically like that. It's why you can see a Corsair CWT DSG with a single 12v rail and a Thermaltake CWT DSG with a main 12v rail with a +5vsb trans with opto-isos.

What i am saying is not all companies have such shoddy standards. Some actually do the work. I agree there is alot of rubbish on the market.

That is the difference between Silverstone, Corsair, etc. from Thermaltake, OCZ, etc. The former actually take part in the design process, while the latter just order boxes and boxes of prefab units and slap a label on them.

That's a great price on that Mushkin power supply, but the six 12v rails ain't for me.

I'd much rather have just two rails (or even just a single rail) personal preference.

Yeah I'm all for single rails myself (and the 600W and 500W Volta units are single rail). But for those prices I'd rock one of those KW+ units