Project: Ultimate Ultra Super Awesome Overclocked Computer Desk - 2 In

ultimatedesk

All this clamping makes me think about the robot mafia in Futurama!

Really great job! I know too how to work a tool or two but your precision and patience is just awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

looks very good and coming together nicely :thumbsup:

Thanks bishop245

Coming together nicely. Now to worry about mass production and shipping. :evilgrin:

Thanks, yeah.. production.. shipping.. *gulp* !

All this clamping makes me think about the robot mafia in Futurama!

Really great job! I know too how to work a tool or two but your precision and patience is just awesome!

Hehe, thanks medbor!

YAY pictures!!! :D

Heh, umm.. thanks? BluePanda? ;)

Ok, so it's been a little while since an update eh?

I've been busy, sorry folks, life seems to speed up in the summertime!

As a peace offering, here are the kiddo's, at about 4 months old now!

img6018k.jpg

img6036.jpg

And, back to the desk!

I had a bunch of solid maple cut into more 1/4" strips so I could finish doing the trim on the top shelf and the cabinets.

img6059b.jpg

My trusty compound mitre saw - got it reconditioned at a bargain place for like 60 dollars, and it's been pretty reliable for a number of years now. It's loud as all heck though!

img6064a.jpg

And, my favorite part - clamping up!

img6069hm.jpg

img6071he.jpg

img6074e.jpg

And, since there was nowhere to place clamps in between this area, I had to improvise with a small block of wood!

img6076b.jpg

After the trim was glued on and then sanded flush, I proceeded with the staining and poly

img6083a.jpg

Looks good, eh?

img6085t.jpg

I also finally decided to buckle down and build myself a quick rig to store all my clamps. Since I'm moving soon, it'll also make it easier to move them to the new place! Nice lap joints eh!!

img6086l.jpg

I proceeded to the cabinet drawers, where I finally sanded off the wood filler that's been attached for weeks (months?)

img6090o.jpg

Lined up the drawer faces, glued them on (Was going to screw them on after, from behind. Lol)

img6091s.jpg

And put a bit of weight on top..

img6093y.jpg

Walked away for a bit, and realized... maybe it was a bad idea to glue them on first! Uh oh!

I decided that it might actually be a lot easier to line up the drawer faces if I attached them AFTER I had attached the drawers to the drawer slides, to I ripped em off.

So, next on the list - staining the actual drawers!

Pre-stain on!

img6098pv.jpg

Mmm, they look so good

img6101.jpg

img6103r.jpg

And, poly of course

img6110nl.jpg

img6112dm.jpg

Done!

img6115u.jpg

And just so ya know, it really did basically take a month just to finish the top shelf and the drawers... more to come soon!

I just flipped through the entire thread, and while I didn't read everything, I must say that looks amazing do far. I really like the deep red color. Keep up the good work :D

P.S. If that desk ever goes missing, it wasn't me.....

...it totally was...

I just flipped through the entire thread, and while I didn't read everything, I must say that looks amazing do far. I really like the deep red color. Keep up the good work :D

P.S. If that desk ever goes missing, it wasn't me.....

...it totally was...

Lol, thanks F13Bubba - if someone ever managed to steal this beast without me noticing, I would be pretty impressed!! It's going to weigh over 200 pounds!

At this point I've totally forgot what hardware is going inside it... its just a carpenter fetish thread now.

Hehe, sweet, cuz I've kinda forgotten what's going to go inside too... !

With the drawers themselves all stained up, it was time to stain the drawer fronts!

img6116b.jpg

Since most of the back of the drawer fronts won't be visible, I decided that I could probably stain and poly both sides at once...

Pre stain!

img6117rz.jpg

img6118xf.jpg

They look so nice like this... ahh, next project...

img6119wi.jpg

Some staining time

img6120f.jpg

img6121y.jpg

img6122p.jpg

And some sweet, sweet gloss poly.

img6123jm.jpg

Woops! One of the drawer faces slipped off the painting cones and picked up a whole whack of saw dust and wood chips... at least this will never be seen on the final project!

img6124w.jpg