Project: Ultimate Ultra Super Awesome Overclocked Computer Desk - 2 In

ultimatedesk

That looks great loving the face plate but it has just occurred to me there is seemingly no airflow around you hdd rack :erm:

Sure looks that way eh? Hmm... you'll just have to stay tuned!!

7TB??? What you doing?

Downloading the internet?

Sooo, close, FINISH IT!!!! :evilgrin:

I love it so far. :cheers:

lol seriously eh? ALL of my data pretty much consumes around 1.5 TB right now, so I don't really have plans for 7TB - it's just what I had lying around!

pretty cool build so far. Why did you spray paint the faceplate and not stain it, you did such a great job with the woodwork it would be a shame to finish it off with a spray paint lol...

I know I know... I tried some dark stain and it didn't work quite that nicely.. maybe I'll redo in the close future ;)

+1

Is the wall perforated any and is the psu the only exhaust?

I just love the looks of it, but if it runs at 80C no one will be happy... But i think you have something planned ;)

Oooohhhh, you'll see my friend! ;)

Imagine trying to take this thing to a LAN party.

lol.

lol, yeah, bring the crane!

Wow, with all those SATA cables there, it sure messes things up, no?

img6540x.jpg

img6541y.jpg

I went ahead and threw in my current video card (Radeon HD5770, which kicks some pretty decent butt still). I'm sure I'll see an improvement from my P4 3.2!!!

img6542m.jpg

And here's the magical moment. It looks like it's already been tweaked around a bit. Running at 3.2Ghz instead of 2.8Ghz, RAM speed up to 1600Mhz... Hey - nice temps! That's only a few degrees over ambient! (It's chilly in the basement)

img6547z.jpg

Only one major problem with this setup... Can you see what it might be? (Well, ok, there's more than one thing not "ideal")

img6549yt.jpg

That might cause an issue. I also don't like the way the heatsink exhausts all of its hot air directly onto the back of the video card, so off to the local computer shop!

This should do the trick:

img6550n.jpg

Much better. Fits almost like it was meant to be.

img6551y.jpg

Looks real good there actually. I think the wide fin spacing will be an advantage as well, since there is going to be a lot of general air flow throughout the cabinet.

img6552t.jpg

well if you have the ultimtate desk, lan party comes to you

Ha, perfect - thanks for the backup, dude ;)

So, now that the hardware has been installed, I can proceed to managing those cables a little. I first cut a quick piece out of 1/4" hardboard with a few strategic holes

img6553k.jpg

Already much more to my liking. Time to place the new fans with their new mounting system

img6556r.jpg

Ok - with both "plates" in place, I can cut the appropriate holes in the door and go ahead and install!

img6560ve.jpg

img6563ux.jpg

Woohoo, that blue furnace filter sure looks out of place eh? Everything fits, it's nice, snug, and square, so I went ahead and added a bunch of closed cell foam

img6564k.jpg

Another view of the almost finished right-hand cabinet old i5 system

img6566x.jpg

img6567kh.jpg

*Testing*

I've been using this cabinet setup for a little while now, and I'm happy to report that the temperatures are really quite nice. Because I've "sealed" the air intake portion, all of the intake air is coming through the blue furnace filter. You can literally feel suction if you place your hand in front of the filter. There is a massive amount of air coming out of the CPU hole, as well as the open PCI slots, power supply exhaust, and the half inch of space between the door and the "non-intake-area". (You can see in the previous photos, I did not put foam around the entire door perimeter).

So far it has been idling at ambient (23-25) and at maximum, just under 50 degrees Celcius.

I can hear the fans running - they are louder than all of the hard drives spinning up. I am going to get a small fan controller and get them down to the minimum speed while maintaining these current temperatures (There is a very large amount of air running through the case).

*To Do*

I have clearly got to find something to either replace the blue furnace filter, or cover it up with something a little more visually appealing.

Also, I need something to cover the CPU exhaust area. It will need to match whatever I do for the furnace filter area.

'Til next time!

try a black perferated metal, not quit like a screen, but like you might see on a case, then paint the blue filter black with some spray paint, and it still should flow good and look better, the filters in the paint booth i use are covered with paint and still flow good,

This thing's really shaping up! Looks amazing. If I had any skills at all, I'd probably try one like this myself... but I don't :lol:

lol thanks - you never know though - I didn't start off with any particular skills either!

try a black perferated metal, not quit like a screen, but like you might see on a case, then paint the blue filter black with some spray paint, and it still should flow good and look better, the filters in the paint booth i use are covered with paint and still flow good,

Thanks - that's actually what I'll be keeping an eye out for in the short future. Not sure what kind of store to look at though - my local Home Depot / Rona / Lowes / Canadian Tire don't really have any large pieces of metal mesh

On the other end of the desk, things have been progressing along nicely as well - had this beauty cut for me

img6569ft.jpg

Placing it in the hole, it sits just a little bit too large. The original square I cut out was about a millimetre smaller on one end than the other

img6570i.jpg

So I took out the trusty chisel and did a bit of shaving!

img6573d.jpg

img6575c.jpg

There we go!

img6579y.jpg

img6580p.jpg

Mm, starting to look so awesome!

img6581o.jpg

img6582c.jpg

The foam fan-holder will have to say bye-bye on this side, just like the one in the right-hand cabinet. Doesn't quite look right.

This is one of the best projects i have seen in a long time. I feel it surpasses the racing waching machine i built for gran turismo5 by an amount that can only be described by multiple orders of magnitude.

Great work.

I know I know... I tried some dark stain and it didn't work quite that nicely.. maybe I'll redo in the close future ;)

hmm.. Might I suggest then, a piece of dark acrylic? A tinted piece of that might look pretty cool, maybe try a different wood with the stain? I know different woods will bring out different colors when stained...

With Acrylic, you can easily round out edges with a torch pen, and make it have nice beveled edges, might look pretty cool... Since you are already using glass maybe a clear piece of glass, that shows the underneath finish, this would give the raised look but still conform to the color of the desk... I have no clue how you would mount the glass though, with a dark piece of acrylic you can easily hide the mounting points behind it...