Project: Ultimate Ultra Super Awesome Overclocked Computer Desk - 2 In

ultimatedesk

So - I finally had some time this weekend to do a bit of work on The Ultimate Computer Desk.

Here's a little shot of the desk as it sits now. Note that the drawers aren't installed, there's clutter everywhere, the two cabinets are not lined up in any particular fashion, and of course, no hardware has yet been installed.

img6205x.jpg

If you didn't notice, I finally said to myself "Ok Mr. You've been working on this desk for 8 months - time for a present". I ~finally~ ditched my old CRT monitor (Which was nice, at 1600x1200 resolution) and purchased myself a brand new 27" Asus. Sweet!

img6207v.jpg

That was my first new computer component in ages!

I moved on to the next part of the project, which was installing the drawers, so I got to work. Sorry about the pictures, I think I accidentally turned the auto focus off!

img6210se.jpg

img6211le.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I went to go and slide the drawer in. The drawer was too wide! I accomodated for 0.25" on each side of the drawer, for the width of the drawer slides. Unfortunately, these particular drawer slides were 3/16's of an inch wider than I accounted for... Here's a wonderfully in focus shot:

img6212t.jpg

So my options were:

1. Redo the drawers completely, making them a total of 6/16's (3/8's) skinnier, or

2. Shave off 3/16's" from each side, about 1.5" tall, along the length of both sides, of each of the drawers.

What a bummer! I thought oh well, it'll actually look pretty tidy with the sides shaved anyways, and also give additional support, so here goes!

Time to tape up my poor drawers. They're about to get scratched up pretty bad!

img6214g.jpg

Setting up the tablesaw for some "guidelines" - 3/16's of an inch deep, set the fence at 2" and then 3.5" if I remember correctly.

img6216em.jpg

And there you go, some proper guidelines for the material that will need to be removed.

img6218d.jpg

This was a pretty big surprise, but not too major, and nothing that cannot be done well.

It looks so spacious! I'm so jealous... T.T

Thanks!

LOVE IT! Bummer on the measurement but that always seems to happen to me -- :P

Thanks BluePanda - it happens I guess! Nothing that can't be fixed though ;)

So, after I used the table saw to make my reference cuts, I grabbed the router with a 1/2" flush cut bit, set it at the appropriate depth and went to town. Making the reference cuts made the rest of this usually tedious job easy.

img6220u.jpg

img6222o.jpg

img6225h.jpg

When I went to do the reference cuts on the shorter drawers, I realized... there were a bunch of screws in the way. Ooops! Good thing I noticed so quickly!

img6227v.jpg

I had to go and remove all woodfiller and the screws that were in the way of the 3/16's inch material removal. This meant all the screws along the bottom, and 1 or 2 at the front and back of the drawer. What a pain!

img6235tg.jpg

img6232h.jpg

img6236hy.jpg

After getting all of the extra material removed, I drilled some new counter-sink holes (Since the old ones were taken off with the router), re-inserted the screws, and gave all the dressers a light sanding, since I would have to redo the polyurethane coat anyways (They got pretty scratched up). In this pic, I had already re-stained the portion where I removed the extra material.

img6238ac.jpg

So. Next - polyurethaning the drawers... AGAIN!

Fun, looking good.

Thanks SpeedCrazy

Unlucky with having to relocate screws but definately going to be woth it in the end so jealous of your desk great work

Thanks ;)

While getting ready to re-polyurethane the drawers, I also took the time to stain and poly the right-hand cabinet door, as well as the two pieces that will be above each of the cubby holes on the top of the desk

img6241b.jpg

img6245j.jpg

Re-polyurethaning the drawers went really well - they look fantastic

img6250m.jpg

Things have been pretty busy in the shop - have been re-glassing a war-horse of a canoe at the same time!

img6251s.jpg

Here are the first couple drawers installed. They fit perfectly - the slides fit right into the grooves that I cut out. This photo turned out a little redder than reality

img6254lc.jpg

Getting the actual slides lined up and screwed in straight took a bit of patience, but well worth the effort

img6255i.jpg

Ahh, nice and messy, but finally got the drawers in.

img6256g.jpg

Some of the things I'll need to be working on shortly:

- Front Panel (Fan controls, LED's, Power/Reset switches, USB, Audio Jacks)

- Fan Installation (Foam surrounds, filter fitting)

- Hardware selection

After the hardware is selected and installed, I will be able to focus on cable routing and placement of the drives.

• 2 weeks later...

SAWEEEET!! I love the almost finished product. Now you just need to make me mine.

Haha, sounds good BluePanda, you know where to reach me lol ;)

I cant wait till I have the time to do something like this. It looks awesome

lol, wish I had the time too! It's taken my like 10 months to get this far!!

Sorry for the delay in updates everyone - I've been enjoying the beautiful summer weather we've been getting lately and haven't been putting a tremendous effort into getting the desk finished.

Surprise though - I did manage to get quite a bit done, and I've had some good fortune lately as well. I expect to post several updates this week, so just to get you back into the spirit of things, here's this weeks preview!

4x Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm x 38mm 3000RPM

4x Scythe Slipstream 120mm x 25mm 1900RPM

img6261dr.jpg

Lots of foam cutting and trimming, and a sweet, sweet ruler from the Moddders Inc Featured Rig of the Month Contest(Thanks! I'm honored!)

img6262z.jpg

Hmm, what's this?

img6263eo.jpg

Holy moly cool prize pack Modders Inc! I still can't believe I won this - perfect stuff for The Ultimate Computer Desk!

img6267w.jpg

Finally removed the protective cover from these babies - they look soo nice!

img6319j.jpg

Hmm? Another surprise?...

img6320j.jpg

Oh good lord! What kind of super monster is that!!?

img6340m.jpg

Bwahahaha

img6359o.jpg

Ok, so maybe a lot's happened in the past couple weeks. I haven't been posting any updates because I've been tinkering around with hardware AND enjoying some good outdoor times. I'm thinking that the next round of updates in the following month or so will be ultra exciting - things are starting to wrap up!

Seeya soon!

looks very nice most of us have enuff wood working skills to toss a piece of plywood on some 2x4's with L brackets and call that good lol I know I have alot of wood working skills and tool but not in your level :)