Noob Water Cooling

Nyt

But does Petra's tech shop ship to South Africa ? I'll have to check on that

So the res can only be pulled out the front ? Is that a bad thing ? How would that affect me having to refill the res ?

I want to use 3x120mm Cooler Master Red LED 2000rpm fans on it .

Edit: Should I just stick to distilled water and red tubing ? What are the negative effects of that ?

Those fans would work great and be a bit quieter then the scyth ones I have. Maybe even look further for a 120mm-32mm fan rather then a 120-25mm and you will get better performance front the static pressure they produce.

There will be no negative effects to using red tubing rather then a dye. I just prefer to see the fluid running through. and From what I have see it looks a lot better.

the res is only a bad thing if you want to remove the loop while its still filled, its a convenience thing in all reality.

See my mod log for further pics on what your set-up could or may look like in signature below. Maybe learn from a few of my mistakes. :rofl:

Not sure if petra will ship outside the us... sorry.

Edited by boinker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I would change the tubing to some UV Red tubing because I really want red in my loop. Isn't distilled water conductive ?

distill water is conductive and so is feser 1. theres this video on youtube that a guy tested out "non" conductive coolant and distill water. distilled water actully works better

But who cares if its conductive or not, i mean ur not gonna squirt it all over ur system anyways right? :rolleyes:

Petra's tech shop has some red dye. the dye they have is also a form of coolant but performs well with distilled water. you can follow it up with some pt nuke to bring the ph level down to kill everything for certain. I would use that over red tubing and the feser one performance killer.

One thing about the res your getting. That res is not able to be removed out of the back side of the case due to its disign. (I have it at home)

No distilled water is not conductive. Once its introduced into a water cooling loop its no longer distilled water due to the minerals that are in the loop.

I would caution away from that particular water block and go with the swiftech apogee xt or the gt. Im not sure and have not heard about it, im just riding on IMHO's.

looks good to me other then that.... What fans do you plan on using????

Edit: use walmart distilled water.

umm are u trying to say that dont mix alumunuim and copper together in the same loop?

distill water is conductive and so is feser 1. theres this video on youtube that a guy tested out "non" conductive coolant and distill water. distilled water actully works better

But who cares if its conductive or not, i mean ur not gonna squirt it all over ur system anyways right? :rolleyes:

Distilled water is non-conductive, look it up in a chemistry book. If the guy f*ed up and got dust or something in it it's no longer distilled water.

umm are u trying to say that dont mix alumunuim and copper together in the same loop?

Yeah, if you do mix them it causes an electroplating effect and the copper effectively dissolves and forms a layer of copper on the aluminum. Or maybe it's the other way around, I don't remember for sure.

Edited by TheHippi

Actually Destilled water reacts with any metal it comes in to contact with (like rust on steel) and will beome conductive after a short while.

Also i think aluminium and copper in the same loop would speed up this process and might do internal damage to components. There will (after a while) start to clog the radiator and blocks, but i dont know how fast.

Also if you do build your water setup you probably will need a fan on your north bridge (or good case fans) since there will be considerably less airflow over the motherboard to keep it cool.

Edited by medbor

Sorry nyt, been gone.

1st: Heck No, do not go with the coolant

2nd: Distilled water and a microbial....I suggest Petra's Tech PT_Nuke -PHN Biocide http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/coolantdyes.html

- if you can't find an equivilent, if u pay shipping, I will send it!

3rd: If you really want color I def suggest the colored tubing, just better/easier to keep the dye out! You don't want that shhh in the loop ;)

4th: Yes I would change the cpu block! I have the Koolance 360 and I like it, good temps and looks. Only other block I would get right now would be the EK Supreme HF P1

Koolance 360 - http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=978

EK Supreme HF P1 - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c325/s839/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Water_Blocks_CPU_-_Socket-CPU_Socket_LGA1366-Page1.html

- Has different finishes

Here is a big review with many blocks:

http://www.skinneelabs.com/koolance-cpu-360.html?page=4

Heck nyt, if you can get everything over here cheaper and you want to make a big order, I will ship it all together! Let me know :cheers:

Thanks Speedway , I think Im going to go with colored tubing and the normal cpu block I thought of , If it doesnt perform well enough then I'll just replace it (it cant be too bad if DD sells it ).

This is all new to me so I dont want to go dumping all my cash this early into wc . Next year I'll get the best pumps, blocks and rads to cool all my components

What happens if I only use distilled water ? What does the algae do ?

Hey nyt,

If you only use distilled or mineral it will cause algae to build up withing a week. I know its probable to do and keep it clean. I tried it and I had crud in there after a week.

If you use only distilled then I would put some pt nuke in there. what pt nuke serves as is a water ph level changer. It lowers the ph of the water so that it is no longer livable for any kind of oganism. if not you will have a small eco-system in your wc loop and thats bad vojew. Thats not the only option you have though, you could use a silver kill coil. Its just a small peice of silver that will deaden anything that enters the loop.

Another reason I like using clear tubing and petra's pentosin g11 (its a dye/coolant) is it also serves as biocide and looks pretty. Along with that Its not like most others that coat the loop in stuff.  But it is only a personal preference.

Hi Nyt,

Sorry for getting to the party late!

Save yourself some money and ditch the Tygon Tubing and opt for the ClearFlex 60 which is about a $1 a foot cheaper and works just as well.

Then, if you can find some of this somewhere;

http://jab-tech.com/Primochill-PC-Ice-Blood-Red-pr-3754.html

The Primochill PC Ice is great stuff. A little pricey but have run it in loops for well over a year without any issues. No gunk build up, no algae, residue, breakdown etc. It really is great stuff. I mix mine with 50% distilled water. It lightens the color a bit, but other than that works great.

Hey guys,

I've found a place that can ship to SA and has all the stuff I'll need (the extra shipping costs are worth it to not have to shop from multiple places)

CPU Block - Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock

Pump - Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pump

Res - XSPC Single 5.25in Bay Reservoir

Rad - Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm

Tubing - Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID 3/4in. OD Laboratory Tubing (I dont mind a few dollars and Im certain this tubing is strong)

Petra'sTech PT_Nuke Concentrated Biocide (10mL)

I'll buy some distilled water over at local shops here

What do you guys think of this selection ?