*UNOFFICIAL* OCC Folding@Home Contest

RJR

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So aMD doesn't support hyper-threading or their own equivalent?

No, and AMD doesn't have an equivalent.

Hyperthreading is a sort of cheat (my opinion) that gets a single core to act like multiple. I call it a cheat just because it isn't really multi-threading and it can hamper performance (I think, I know HT on can effect OCing). How it works is that there are several information pathways in a CPU, and Intel got theirs complicated/advanced enough that when a multi-threaded job is sent to the CPU it can store a thread in a pathway (maybe it actually works on it, but I don't think where I saw this explained said it was) and work on the other, and then switch them. After both threads have been taken care of they are sent out. So it's not like having multiple physical cores that work on the threads in parallel, but it still allows for multiple threads. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't AMD the first with a stable multi-core CPU?)

AMD will have a kind-of equivalent in Bulldozer. You see, the current CPU core has an integer core and a floating point core. A Bulldozer core will have two integer cores and a single floating point core. Apparently most applications only use the integer core, so for those applications there will be twice as many cores. This is kind of like Hyperthreading, where one Bulldozer core can work on two (integer) threads at the same time, but it isn't using a virtual core (the pathways mentioned earlier) but actual physical computational cores.

If AMD can get it out on time and without major issues at launch, then Bulldozer should be quite a contender when pitted against the i7 quad-cores and maybe the hexa-cores. We shall see. We shall see.

Take your word for it about a third of that was ancient swahili and the other 2/3s was as clear as watery mud. (aka sorta understandable) Thanks for trying. :biggrin:

You're welcome! Glad I could help :thumbsup:

How's this: AMD hasn't any equivalent to Hyperthreading now, but their next desktop architecture will have something similar, but should be better.

You're welcome! Glad I could help :thumbsup:

How's this: AMD hasn't any equivalent to Hyperthreading now, but their next desktop architecture will have something similar, but should be better.

Perfect. :cheers:

Come morning i will read your indepth explantation again but right now........{snores}.......my brain is just waiting for newegg to announce this weeks winners.