*UNOFFICIAL* OCC Folding@Home Contest

RJR

SOME nVidia cards have the 2:1 link between shader/core. I know my GTS 450 does

Also, OCing the graphics card may or may not be useful.

In my case, the GTS 450 when taken from stock (1579MHz) to 2000MHz shader, will bring PPD (in 912pt WUs) from 12.5K to 15K

Pretty steep jump, if you ask me.

That's also an impressive OC on the shaders. I don't want to OC the GTS 250 much because it doesn't drive a display, so I can't see if there's artifacting, and WU don't always crash right away from a bad OC. Maybe I can spend some time over Christmas break to OC it better.

So you can't OC the shader frequency separately from your core? Afterburner lets me unlink them on my 250, but the shader speed on the 5770 doesn't even show a value, just the core does.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Run it like so.

Open cmd

Then type the path for the FAH executable file eg.(this is my path. yours may be different)

C:\Users\(username)\Downloads\FAH6.30-win-32\fah6.exe

and then add the flag

-smp #

# represents whatever number of cores you want to fold on. This includes threads so i have a quad so if i wanted 100% production i would put 8 you with your hexa-core could put 12 (provided you can run 2 threads on each core).

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Nope. Run it like so.

Open cmd

Then type the path for the FAH executable file eg.(this is my path. yours may be different)

C:\Users\(username)\Downloads\FAH6.30-win-32\fah6.exe

and then add the flag

-smp #

# represents whatever number of cores you want to fold on. This includes threads so i have a quad so if i wanted 100% production i would put 8 you with your hexa-core could put 12 (provided you can run 2 threads on each core).

Do I have to add the flag through the command line, or can I put it in the config file?

The HD 5770 has 800 shader cores running at 1780MHz (double the core clock) of these while the GTS 250 has 128 at 1800MHz.

Technically the 5770 has 800 *simple* shaders and 800/5 (or 160) complex shaders. IIRC folding is limited to using the complex shaders.

Do I have to add the flag through the command line, or can I put it in the config file?

Nm, figured it out. I did advanced options and re-configured my settings, which gave me an updated config file.

Read this, and you'll be all set. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuide

FYI, if you don't want to be running at 100% CPU usage, -smp 4 for 8 threads (quad core with hyperthreading) = 50%.

-smp 3 (hexacore) = 50%.

Technically the 5770 has 800 *simple* shaders and 800/5 (or 160) complex shaders. IIRC folding is limited to using the complex shaders.

Assuming you are remembering correctly, that still means the 5770 is physically more capable at folding but is still outpaced by a factor of 2. That's still a lot of optimization for nVidia and not for AMD/ATi.