Which Cooler?

IAmGundam

So I have my computer now, and I'm still using the stock heatsink... I want to do some overclocking on my Phenom II x4 955BE. I'm not sure what cooler to get though, I was going to get a Noctua NH-D14, but I was told that AMD processors don't kick off much heat, and I would probably be fine with a Corsair H50. There's also the Coolit ECO, which I heard was pretty good, and the V6 GT seems to preform quite well too. So, I'm lost in a sea of choices, and I hope some of the members here can help me choose

If you want to overclock, the D14 will cool better at higher voltages than almost any other available. The others are not far off or close to equal as far as temps at lower voltages but the D14 will be more than a few degrees cooler at 1.5V+. This is where it will shine a little more.

Edited by Drdeath

If you want to overclcok, the D14 will cool better at higher voltages than almost any other available. The others are not far off or close to equal as far as temps at lower voltages but the D14 will be more than a few degrees cooler at 1.5V+. This is where it will shine a little more.

:withstupid:

If there's no budget limit I say either go for this or get the Prolimatech Megahalems with two fans of your choice

I will sort by price range. I suggest working our how much you are willing to spend before giving us such a broad question :D

This is kind of a hodgepodge list of coolers in no real order for performance.

$61-$90

Noctua. D14

The corsair H50.

Noctua NH-U12P

Megahalems with fans

$35-$60

Thermal Take Frio

The V6 GT is better than the V8. The V10 is a waste.

The titan Fenrir is also good.

Megahalems: Passive, does not come with fans.

Corsair A70 can be found for under $50

Corsair A50, fairy cheap and performs well.

$30 or less.

ICooler Master Hyper 212+ is a nice cooler no mattter what anyone says.

Core Contact Freezer, the old king of cheap coolers. Still good today.

Thermaltake frio

i have a phenom II x4 955 be c3 and the frio

in the room are 25 d c

in idle the cpu is 30 and in full load (prime 95) max 47

oc to 3,9 ghz idle 35 and load 52

case: thermaltake v3 + 3 x 120 fans

I got a Coolit ECO ALC in their contest, and it's definitely the best cooler I've ever owned.

It's a very sturdy water cooler, which also means it's a bit of a pain to install.

If you're willing to get some good fans (the one that comes with it is junk) then it could probably outperform an NH-D14

I also won the ECO ALC in the same contest as Locutus... I love it. I modified mine with a larger resivoir and haven't hit temps above 40 since. I used to get up to 75 under full load...

Waco had the megahalem on his 4-core intel CPU and dropped his temperatures a lot, which was a big deal with his cooler. However he's now using a water cooled system which just seems to be the best.

Water cooling seems to beat them all at least with the coolers I've tried -- the ECO ALC really is a great contained system if you don't want to do full on water.

:withstupid:

I third that.

The Megahalems remains a quality piece of cooling hardware. While its performance has been eclipsed by the NH-D14 it is still a top-notch cooler. Been using it now for over a year on my 4.0 GHz Q9550 and temps are more than within range. It's also a bit smaller than the D14. But yeah, I support IVIY and Hartnell when they recommend the Megahalems. Definitely can't go wrong with one.

if he would sell it, how much? Maybe I'll swap out my TRUE

I can't say that'd be a cost-smart upgrade. :P

EDIT: I don't have AMD brackets for my Megahalems - don't know if you can really find them any more either.

Edited by Waco