Where to put fan?

I have an old dell dimension e510 now i know it is time to upgrade but i would also like to keep this computer and just do a few little upgrades. so far i bought a psu and upgraded the video card... all went well but i want to install a new fan because it does run a little fan. if anyone remembers the dimensions you probly remember theres only 1 big fan. so where exactly is the fan input going to be? and since its from dell (crap) does it only have 1 fan slot... i think the big fan is hooked to the bottom of the motherboard... im hooking an older fan that came from a 1999 computer. Will it still be compatible?

I would suggest just scraping your whole idea and saving for an actual, good case

+1

as for the fan: it should be compatible and it goes into one of the 3pin male parts on the mobo. But since it's a really old fan, it's probably better to get a new fan for like 15$.

If you decide to get a new case, don't buy a fan because most cases today come with a good amount of fans to keep the system cool.

Im not sure if your looking for a dedicated assisted cooling for the new video card, but you might consider a pci slot fan.

There are many models. All you will need is another molex connector and a free pci slot.

If your tight for space, you might also like this one. Adjustable bracket for pointing the fan where ever you like.

In the end, Cow has it right, for $60 you get get a newer, better designed/cooled ( not to mention spacious) case that will provide you with what you'd like.

Hope this helps.

A new case if it's in the budget would be a good investment. I was just working on a similar rig last week (3100/e310) - but the cases are identical. Actually this is a pretty good looking case, however cooling options are fairly limited.

If you're heart is set on keeping this case you could always modify the right hand side panel and add a 120mm or 140mm fan. It would improve airflow and dress up the case a bit too. You could even position it to get some airflow directly across your video card.

Adding a side panel fan is easy. A good fan will only set you back $15 bucks or so. You'll need a hole saw and a drill. You'll probably want a grill cover and some door edge guard to dress up the edges of the hole you cut.

If you've already got a drill, you could do the whole project for less than $30 bucks.

i know it is time to upgrade but i would also like to keep this computer and just do a few little upgrades

I'm not going to speak for him but I will follow what he said. So with that said; Buying a new case is not a "little upgrade" imo. I mean if he's going to do that then do it all, right? Also, putting proprietary parts in a case may not work. AND a computer that was introduced at around 2005. Being that I love to hack the crap out of cases, or some call "Modding", I would cut holes and take names. You have some options here; as mentioned you can get the PCI slot cooler or get a fan at bestbuy or a nearby computer store and install it in a area of importance. If you want to have a intake fan that blows onto the G-Card then take a dremel and cut a hole on the side panel. You can also add a small fan onto the N.Bridge heatsink. Or you can add a couple exhaust fans on the back? Man...let me at it. I'll hook you up dude. Here's some photos I saw during my search about your computer on what I'm talking about

This one was posted over at Tom's Hardware

LINK

Here's another one where somebody added a small fan to the N. Bridge.

LINK

So as you can see you have options for what you're trying to do.