Electic shock poll, have you ever been severely shocked?

Andrewr05

FUN WITH ELECTRICITY!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been severly shocked? (More than a jolt)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many times have you been severly shocked?

• 1-5 times
    • 6-10 times
    • 11-15 ...
    • 16-20 ...
    • More than 20 times
    • I lost count... !!
    • I have never been electrocuted

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far too sensible to go fiddling around with anything live, and as hardnrg mentioned our plug sockets pretty much negate getting shocked that way.

I've been electrocuted so many times! I used to work as a HVAC installer. (air conditioning for homes) and all the time old AC's would shock the crap outta of me. Especially when I was in an attic working in 140 degrees and dark as hell.

I used to build all kinds of stuff when I was a little kid from RC cars, to rockets, to explosives, needless to say I was a gold club member at the ER, some incidents involved electrocution. :)

I've been electrocuted so many times! I used to work as a HVAC installer. (air conditioning for homes) and all the time old AC's would shock the crap outta of me. Especially when I was in an attic working in 140 degrees and dark as hell.

Got to discharge those caps LOL

I'm pretty sure by definition "electrocution" requires death. Otherwise it's just a shock :P

I was shocked pretty bad when I was 8. I was playing around outside of an HMO (lol convenient no?) and climbed up one of the parking lot lamp poles. The globe was shattered so there was a crown of glass. In my genius little mind I decided to feel around up there to see if there was any loose pieces of glass I could throw into the bushes. I brushed up against two wires at the top and it forced my hand to clench shut over some glass. I was up there for a good 5 seconds before I managed to rip my skin off the wires (and glass) and slowly slid down the pole. My brother saw the whole thing and just stood there lol. I casually walked into the HMO and told my dad I had just been shocked, and showed him my charred and cut hand. I was definitely not in pain, which was pretty sweet, but it hurt the next day.

• 1 month later...

Yup. Definitely shocked just a couple days ago. Here is my story.

Friday. End of my second week of Medical School and I was heading to the library. The library at my school is on the 12th floor so I walked over to the elevator to press the up button. The instant my extended index finger made contact with the metal button my arm flung violently backwards. It felt as if someone had shook my arm as I felt my triceps vigorously contract. It didn't hurt, but you could FEEL the power of the current for that tenth of a second.

Pissed off, I walked over to the facility office for the school and informed them of a "hot button." The electrician looked at me, looked at my shoes (rubber soles) and told me, "yeah that is some static electricity. Don't drag your feet when you walk." When he told me that, I wanted to punch him in the face. I was so mad. But priding myself on maintaining composure I asked him if he could take a look at the elevator button. With much prodding he reluctantly agreed. He touched the button. No shock. "You see, definitely static electricity" , the electrician replied.

Well....no Shock? How the hell was I shocked? Well to answer this small mystery requires a little electricity and magnetism 101. But more on that later.

The electrician, now COMPLETELY confident that it was a simple case of Static Electricity touched the button one more time. But this time, ROTFLMAO, it was different. Instead I heard a scream, WOW!!!! He instantly grabbed his radio and started calling fellow technicians to shut down the elevators to the school. He reported, "we have a situation."

buttons.jpg

Now why was the electrician not shocked the first time but the second time received a nice jolt? Well lets get you acquainted with the scenario. This is an exact replica of the elevator button at my medical school. Apparently, a loose electric wire had gotten free and was making direct contact with the elevator panel. The plastic ring around the button creates a potential differential across the panel. Little did I know, but when I pressed the button with my index finger, my thumb also made contact with the metal outside of the button. I had completed the circuit and WHAMO! 120 volt AC shock. The same thing happened with the electrician. the only difference when he pressed the button the second time his shoulder was making contact with the elevator door. Thus completing the circuit and giving him a jolt.

The School sent us both to the emergency room (the school wanted to take precautions) to have an EKG. Everything normal/no injuries and was quickly discharged for the Emergency Room. All i can say is "feces happens." and you just got to hope that you can walk away from other people's mistakes as well as your own.

Edited by redSHIFT69