Public Smoking Ban

Some_Guy_

Tonight city council is voting on a public smoking ban in my city. All public places (except outside) will be non-smoking areas.

First, let's keep this civilized.

So here's my position:

I don't go to a lot of places (bars, restaurants, bowling alleys, etc) because of the smoke. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Some smokers I know also don't go to some places because the smoke is too thick.

Some businesses are complaining that it will cut in to their business/profits. I personally don't agree, first because none of these places depend on smoking as a source of profit, second because it's not like people can just go to another bar (or whatever) and smoke there, and third because people like me would go to the bar more often than once a year because the smoke has cleared out. I think if anything it might even increase business.

What do you think? Something I didn't think about?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even as a smoker I have no problem with it. I think that people should have the right to smoke, but they should also have the right to not smoke, nor have to inhale 2nd hand smoke.

It's one thing to kill yourself smoking, but don't try to kill everyone else.

I am not a smoker and I don't have a problem with it at all!

IMO though... I think that they should allow smoking in bars and only bars, not restaurant/bars. The difference is that the latter serves food along with having a bar and the former has no kitchen.

The reason for that is because that is the charm of a bar, you go there to have a drink, a smoke and to shoot the breeze. :bah:

They've done this with bars in my city, I personally think it's great. I'm incredibly sensitive to cigarrette smoke, perfumes, and Formaldehyde, and if I'm exposed to any of those for more than a few minutes, It usually results in a very severe and unrelenting migraine. Yes it decreases business, but It also decreases the chance of second hand smoke.

It's one thing to kill yourself smoking, but don't try to kill everyone else.

Exactly.

its that way in CA and i like it. since moving to a place that doesn't have a law like that i've realized how much nicer resterants are, but at the same time i don't think its right for the such a law to be imposed. if the business wants to prohibit somking they should be the one to chose that.

I am in cali so ya thats where we're at right now, i personally hate smoking and all that has to do with it but thats my take. im so for it its redickulous. Anyways, furthermore, subsequentially, ergo, i respect the right for people to smoke, just dont do it around me! (ill clear those lungs real fast)

Though I think not letting everyone smoke in resturants is a good idea personally I find issues with it's use over public society. As a voting citizen it seems like the right of the resturant and the rights of people that are eating at the resturant are getting taken away. Think of it this way, a business is out to make money, if making everything non-smoking was a proven money maker, everyone would have done it already. I have no problem with all non-smoking restuarants (even though I am a smoker), in fact I like them more, but it should be my decision and the businesses to cater to a totally non-smoking demographic. I like clean air were I eat and I am probably one the most cleanly smokers out there. I just like the idea that when I want I can go to that Denny's at 3AM and drink some sludge terrible coffee and smoke a cigarette.

If it was a matter of preferance I say go for it, I could deal without it. But since its a matter of personal choice/freedom of the business and individual that is being taken away I have issues. If you don't want to go to a resturant with a smoking section, don't. If the demand is high enough for all non-smoking resutrants on its own businesses will start catering to the needs of the non-smoker out of a financial need.

Smoking bans are getting towards the right idea except the fact that people lose there personal right to choose.