I finally got my new GPU'S! 2 EVGA 480GTX's

dual 480s will NEVER run 3 30" monitors there simpletly isnt enough vram there

you only need 35.2 MB for three 2560x1600 monitors

3 x (2560x1600) x 24 bits/pixel x (1Byte/8bits) x (1024Bytes/KB) x (1024KB/MB) = 35.15625MB

VRAM is generally (i.e. mostly) used to hold textures and other graphics info like 3D models etc.

3D Vision Surround is NVidia's version of Eyefinity and is scheduled for release this month:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Sur...Technology.html

Supports gaming across three non-3D displays with resolutions up to 2560x1600

NVIDIA Surround technology requires NVIDIA SLI Technology (two or more NVIDIA GeForce GPUs) to drive high definition gaming across three monitors.

It is also going to work on 200 series cards:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3DV_System_Re...Technology.html

but obviously the 3D performance to drive three 2560x1600 displays is going to really strain the 200 series for the latest games... it really is only limited by 3D performance (i.e. framerates) rather than VRAM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you only need 35.2 MB for three 2560x1600 monitors

3 x (2560x1600) x 24 bits/pixel x (1Byte/8bits) x (1024Bytes/KB) x (1024KB/MB) = 35.15625MB

VRAM is generally (i.e. mostly) used to hold textures and other graphics info like 3D models etc.

3D Vision Surround is NVidia's version of Eyefinity and is scheduled for release this month:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Sur...Technology.html

are you trying to figure out bandwidth? because you have it wrong its 2560 x 1600 x bit rate x refresh rate or frame rate= bandwidth go ahead try 3 30" monitors on 2 480gtxs i bet you wont go as far as you think... but try it and prove me wrong lol :rolleyes:

Its not multiplied by the framerate there unknown, unless you know how to cancel out "seconds" when talking about memory. However, you do have to multiply it by the amount of frames the card will buffer, generally 2 or 3 unless the card is just so strained that it cant even keep that up. So like 100MB max... right?

That is correct, it's the framebuffer(s) size... normally you would have at least two (current and back buffer), three with triple buffering... the bandwidth isn't a limiting factor because the cards are able to display on multiple monitors anyway

dual 480's and all you want to get is 3 x Samsung P2250 21.5 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitors? I see 30"s in your near future! :D

The reason being is that well I simply dont have the room for 2 30inch monitors Im limited to what im getting... Trust me if I could go larger then I would.....

Please tell me you didnt build that to play Wow. If you did then I will kill you for wasting all that money.

HAHAHAHA no I built it because I also do a lot of things like graphics designing, video editing, photoshop(although photoshop doesn't need a comp this powerfull)

nice

why do you have different color power plugs on each card?

The reason behind the different power plugs is because the top card is plugged into the pci-e power cable which is connected directly to the psu and the bottom card has a modular pci-e power cable in it.

10 in all of Australia?

Yup I was on of the luckiest people in Australia lol considering I got 2 of them.

And here is a link to my 3dmark vantage score if anyone wants ot do a comparison for lolz.... http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2112596

Also Im useing a 1250watt Enermax psu so I have no power consumption issues....

Edited by Sworn_Vendetta

he should only need a 700 w psu for the load .. Ie an overclock of 4.4ghz on a 980x dual sli 480s draws a total of 697w... regardless the revolutions 85+ series i believe begin 950w soo no matter what hes safe...

In Hexus' SLI test it drew 710W with a non-overclocked i7-965X, 6GB RAM, and a Kingston SSD.

In Anandtech's SLI test it drew 851W with a core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz, 6GB RAM, and an OCZ SSD.

In HardOCP's SLI test it drew 595W with a core i7-920 @ 3.6GHz, 6GB RAM, and a WD Black 640GB HDD.

In Hardware.info's (netherlands) SLI test it drew 678 with a core i7-980x, an undisclosed amount of RAM, and an undisclosed HDD.

Guru3d didn't run a power test for GTX 480 in SLI, but still recommended at least an 850W unit, and ideally a 1000W unit.

I know some of the higher test results were with furmark which gives unrealistically high power draw numbers, but saying a 700W is all you'll need while in the next sentence saying it draws 697W is pretty ignorant. Max efficiency for power supplies is not at 100% of the wattage rating is it? In fact, for his specific power supply (Enermax 1250W) his highest efficiency is closer to 50% load. Not to mention that would stress the hell out of a 700W PSU if you fold@home 24/7.

i see alot of people just blurting out thigns with out doing research not just in this thread but in quite a few... do some research before you speak... thats just a general statement to anyone no fingers pointed...

Yeah me too. You seem to know quite a bit about certain things, and not a lot about certain other things. You also seem to expect everybody to be at your knowledge level on those things before they're allowed to talk about it, and if they do talk about it you're quick to say "blah blah blah you didn't do a dissertation on the topic so you shouldn't post". Oh btw, the Rev85+ series starts at 850W not 950W. How about you do some research before you speak?