Remembering Verran Contest

Bosco

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great contest with a great cause. I think almost everyone knows someone who lost their life to cancer. Let this be a reminder for all of us to do what we can do contribute to humanity's fight against this disease.

It's unfortunate that I wasn't around to know Ryan/Verran. Not for the inability to write anything pertinent to enter a contest. Simply because it sounds like he was a genuinely good and helpful person. A friend to many it seems.

Good contest and good prizes to remember what appears to be a good person.

Best of luck to all.

As someone who joined this forum to be part of the Asus contest I did not have the pleasure of knowing Verran. I did have a close friend pass away from cancer so I can at least relate to the situation. I think this contest is an amazing idea. I know that if something like this had happened to me that it would be the best way to remember me. I will not enter the contest for anything I would say would be empty for my lack of interaction with him. I just wanted to express how amazing this forum is for remembering one of their own in this way. It makes me want to be more active here if for no other reason than to meet and get to know people who react and help each other in this way. People like that are people I want to be friends with. Good luck to everyone on this contest!

dont even know where to start really, since i started driving I slowly weened away from computer hardware. (while I still take interest, i find it hard to keep up the way I used to with the newest hardware)

got into UCSD for mechanical engineering, and spend 90% of my time studying in the library.

Ya getting to drive will do that to you. Nice to see you stop by and say Hi :)

Not entering contest just sharing a memory. I received the following PM from Verran:

Background image, Jul 3 2009, 02:43 PM

"RIP 1981-2009

Group: Honorary Staff

Member No.: 13,138

I raised your warning level for posting that screenshot with the inappropriate background image. That was absolutely uncalled for and is well below the maturity level we expect here."

I keep my desktop background as lemonparty and had posted a screenshot with some benchmark scores on it. I thought covering up the genitalia with the windows was good enough. Verran could have been a jerk about it but it was a gentle reprimand.

Edit: Can I please have my warning level lowered now? Been a good guy since Jul I promise!

Done :)

It's not everyday you get see that someone who was relatively young has touched a number of people. Sometimes people's light burns dim and lengthy, sometimes very bright and quick...

It sounds like Verren was someone who was very bright, very helpful and will be missed by all.

I can't say that I knew him, but it's VERY obvious that he will be greatly missed by those who did know him.

I'm sorry to have missed the opportunity to meet someone who can garner that level of respect and love on a board of strangers...

Hopefully he's out of pain and having a better time than fighting cancer was.

Hopefully his family can be comforted with the fact that he's no longer in pain... there's not much comfort in losing someone aside from whatever level of pain has been removed.

I've never had the privilege of meeting/talking to Ryan. But after reading all your wonderful comments about him i wish i have and he indeed sounds like an amazing person. Good luck to all in the contrast and this is a great way to honor Ryan.

PM sent, but it said failed(Still in sent box) so please tell me if you received an email from me([email protected]).

Thank you.

And a great way to remember Verran/Ryan :)

Edit: Sweet you added a feature that says that your email arrived :)

Edited by Krieg1337

Thanks to Verran, he gave me suggestions unto which CPU I should buy. I am also sorry for not posting much here, but after I made my built, I got a bit busy with trying it out. He will be missed. Email sent.

Ya your right I forgot about that. What a pain in the arse that was :(

Look at the bright side, Queenz now is mainly known for being a ridiculous spammer, not for spreading peanut butter all over his face :lol:

dont even know where to start really, since i started driving I slowly weened away from computer hardware. (while I still take interest, i find it hard to keep up the way I used to with the newest hardware)

I hear ya on that one, it's been the same for me!

I know you mentioned you and ccokeman can't participate does this also include staff or we finally exempt from being exempt. :lol:

Really miss verran. Had heard in one of his posts he had been battling cancer but I thought he had won. I was sorely surprised when I found he was gone. He was a great staff member and I will always keep him in mind.