Remembering Verran Contest

Bosco

Wow looked who shows up you got the email I'm guessing :)

What have you been up too haven't seen you around for ages

dont even know where to start really, since i started driving I slowly weened away from computer hardware. (while I still take interest, i find it hard to keep up the way I used to with the newest hardware)

got into UCSD for mechanical engineering, and spend 90% of my time studying in the library.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say that I did not have interactions with Verran that I can recall, but I am sad to see that cancer has cut down another bright light.

I used to participate in a distributed computing project involved in cancer research. That one closed, but I am considering joining if there is another DC cancer project out there. If there is, does OCC have a team on it?

If anyone is looking for another meaningful way to remember Verran, or any other cancer patient/survivor/caregiver, I will be running 10K (and maybe cycling the next day too) this August 21-22 in the LiveSTRONG Philadelphia hallenge, benefiting the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. It would be my honor to also help represent OC Club's Verran.

http://philly2010.livestrong.org/peninad

As you can see from my picture on the page [of last year's bibs], I am unfortunately surrounded by this disease.

In the meantime, if any of you have friend of family in this battle, you can reach out to the LAF to Get Help Dealing with Cancer @ 866.673.7205. You can get one on one support, information about clinical trials and other treatment decisions, and assistance with workplace and insurance issues, amongst other things. All free.

As always, hoping that this cancer loss will be the last any of us has to experience.

post-35656-1269599476_thumb.jpg

Amazing as always Bosco.

And a big thank you to the companies who supplied material! It's great to see that they care about contests like this one!

Don't know if I should participate since I didn't had a chance to interact with him but good luck to all that will.

I bet Ryan would love this!

Edited by ScapeGoat

Sorry to say that I did not have interactions with Verran that I can recall, but I am sad to see that cancer has cut down another bright light.

I used to participate in a distributed computing project involved in cancer research. That one closed, but I am considering joining if there is another DC cancer project out there. If there is, does OCC have a team on it?

If anyone is looking for another meaningful way to remember Verran, or any other cancer patient/survivor/caregiver, I will be running 10K (and maybe cycling the next day too) this August 21-22 in the LiveSTRONG Philadelphia hallenge, benefiting the work of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. It would be my honor to also help represent OC Club's Verran.

http://philly2010.livestrong.org/peninad

As you can see from my picture on the page [of last year's bibs], I am unfortunately surrounded by this disease.

In the meantime, if any of you have friend of family in this battle, you can reach out to the LAF to Get Help Dealing with Cancer @ 866.673.7205. You can get one on one support, information about clinical trials and other treatment decisions, and assistance with workplace and insurance issues, amongst other things. All free.

As always, hoping that this cancer loss will be the last any of us has to experience.

post-35656-1269599476_thumb.jpg

wow i thought i was the only person here from northeast pa lol good to see your dedicated

I'm not eligible for this but that's OK, it's good to see you honor your friend in such a way.

One could only hope to be remembered so fondly by so many people when they leave the earth.

He must have been one hell of a guy.

RIP Verran!

So very sorry to hear about Ryans passing.. I didn't know him well but I envy his close friends and feel sorrow for their loss.. It's tough to lose a member of a tight community, I recently lost a good friend at TRP around the same time.. They will be missed but not forgotten... EVER!

Good Luck in the competition guy's

RIP Ryan

~Raymo (TRP)

Not entering contest just sharing a memory. I received the following PM from Verran:

Background image, Jul 3 2009, 02:43 PM

"RIP 1981-2009

Group: Honorary Staff

Member No.: 13,138

I raised your warning level for posting that screenshot with the inappropriate background image. That was absolutely uncalled for and is well below the maturity level we expect here."

I keep my desktop background as lemonparty and had posted a screenshot with some benchmark scores on it. I thought covering up the genitalia with the windows was good enough. Verran could have been a jerk about it but it was a gentle reprimand.

Edit: Can I please have my warning level lowered now? Been a good guy since Jul I promise!

Edited by Nalcyon

Excellent contest and a great way to remember Verran, well done Dave!

I didn't have any interaction with Verran really and it doesn't help being in the UK with the time difference. I won't bother entering the contest and leave it to the staff and members that knew him.

Cheers

Paul