iPad  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting an iPad?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, just haven't decided yet
    • I own an iPhone/iPod already thank you very much
    • I don't even care!

Then whats the point of buying from them if you know that your always going to get a product that is always half finished and have to keep buying in order to get what you want.

Then why ever bother buying anything at all? :lol: Why bother buying that Xeon - it's out of date already and isn't 3 GHz. Is it therefore, half-finished? The technology exists, after all.

The iPhone isn't "half finished". It's exactly how Apple want it to be! Half finished would imply that it doesn't work. On the contrary - it works beautifully with the features it presently has.

You don't play your trump card from the start if your market research suggests that you can incrementally improve the product and increase sales revenue. The "4G" will be out some time later this summer, but that didn't stop me buying a 3GS now.

What we have here is the old adage of always waiting for the next generation. If you keep waiting, you'll never 'have'.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because some people don't need every conceivable feature. No Flash? Doesn't bother most people. No Bluetooth transfer? Again, doesn't bother most people. For the average consumer, it's all about usability. Throw in all those features but have a crappy UI and nobody except the technophiles will buy it.

Plus, nobody is forcing you to buy Apple products. You want more features and customization? Go to Android or Nokia or Blackberry or Windows Mobile. There's a product out there for everyone. :)

In reality, Apple know what they are doing.

Flash? Well, night time shots on most camera phones with a flash are crap anyway. From a 2.0/3.2 MP camera, you're asking for a lot. Most people (girls) have a compact digital anyway. Guys tend not to bother (in my personal experience) taking shots in clubs at night.

Bluetooth transfer? Slow and awkward. As Kash says, only the technically minded really care and that is a small percentage of iPhone users.

More importantly, the Apple UI is outstanding. No, you can't butcher it to the exact way you like, but again, most people don't care. Us chaps here on OCC might, but we don't represent anywhere conceivably close to the majority of the populous!

I was referring to Adobe Flash, but I agree with you about a camera flash as well.

Oh, whoops. I don't find myself missing it, other than for the escapist weekly videos. I can understand why people wish it was there, but I can also understand why people care not.

your ignorance surprises me

+1

I used to have the same (stupid really) mentality that Apple was junk. It's not though. They make some damn good hardware, easy to work on, sleek, high quality and durable. They have a great Unix based OS too, which is why I use it on my PC. If I could afford a Mac Pro, and it made sense for ME to buy one, I would. Or a 27" iMac. If I for some reason didn't have my desktop, I'd probably buy a used Mac Mini.

The iPad looks fantastic. If you haven't had a chance to play around with one, go on down to best buy and take a look.

"It's a giant ipod touch" Well, it sure is. And this larger version is so much nicer to use.

I'll probably be buying one when they come back in stock locally, if I can sell my iPod for $100+.

Then why ever bother buying anything at all? :lol: Why bother buying that Xeon - it's out of date already and isn't 3 GHz. Is it therefore, half-finished? The technology exists, after all.

The iPhone isn't "half finished". It's exactly how Apple want it to be! Half finished would imply that it doesn't work. On the contrary - it works beautifully with the features it presently has.

You don't play your trump card from the start if your market research suggests that you can incrementally improve the product and increase sales revenue. The "4G" will be out some time later this summer, but that didn't stop me buying a 3GS now.

What we have here is the old adage of always waiting for the next generation. If you keep waiting, you'll never 'have'.

But its different when the technology already exists and apple purposely doesn't put it into there products because they want you to buy there next model. I understand that it's a good way to make people buy the new model when it comes out but apples the only one who benefits and customer meaning us is forced into buying a new one even though all those features should have been included in the initial release of the product.

I mean things like allowing multitasking, a built in camera, USB ports, SD card reader, a gps that isn't wifi or cell phone tower based, HDMI port or some type of video out port, flash support all are not new technologies and could have been installed on the initial release of the Ipad.

But its different when the technology already exists and apple purposely doesn't put it into there products because they want you to buy there next model. I understand that it's a good way to make people buy the new model when it comes out but apples the only one who benefits and customer meaning us is forced into buying a new one even though all those features should have been included in the initial release of the product.

I mean things like allowing multitasking, a built in camera, USB ports, SD card reader, a gps that isn't wifi or cell phone tower based, HDMI port or some type of video out port, flash support all are not new technologies and could have been installed on the initial release of the Ipad.

I very much doubt the people buying an iPad, will complain about it not having all those ports. Apple is all about simplicity. If you don't need it or it clutters the design, Apple doesn't put it there. Flash sucks anyway, it's a security risk.

You've missed the point. The "throw in everything but the kitchen sink" approach doesn't work, just look at all the failed tablets that had all of those features. Apple wasn't the first to make a tablet, smartphone, or even MP3 players, however they revolutionized each respective market by providing an interface that the average consumer could use easily. This then spurred on the competition to also focus more on the interface rather than simply throwing more and more features into each iteration of their products.

Love those Android phones? You should thank Apple, otherwise we'd still be using transistive screens and poorly designed mobile UIs. Yes, we'd have phones with tons of features, but they would be incredibly frustrating to use. Having all those features might sound great to you, but the vast majority of consumers hate it. That means low sales numbers, which companies won't like, and then we'd all be stuck with a plethora of dumb phones instead of the amazing smart phones we now enjoy since those would end up being the only type of phones most consumers would know how to use. Heck, the Razr was the most popular phone back when the iPhone first came out, so my idea is not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I remember reading an article about Apple's slow adoption of features that wasn't only about getting more money out of consumers. It had to do with Apple slowly integrating features after it had spent a long time on properly integrating the feature into the rest of the product's ecosystem. Take for example copy and paste. Implementing that feature has ramifications across the board, and since Apple is such an anal company, it wanted to make sure it was perfectly executed lest people complain that it was hastily added with little thought to usability. In my opinion, I'm sure it's a combination of more profits and proper execution.