iPad  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting an iPad?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, just haven't decided yet
    • I own an iPhone/iPod already thank you very much
    • I don't even care!

I don't think everything Apple makes is a little gift from heaven. The company has made plenty of mistakes, such as that hockey puck mouse, getting rid of Firewire on the Macbooks, not having basic features like MMS on the iPhone for years while even the most basic phone has had that feature since forever and so on and so forth. Is the iPad a revolutionary device? Going by specs and features, not in the least bit; in fact, we've already proven that the only revolutionary thing about it is the battery life, there are far superior alternatives in every other area.

However, Apple does have a target audience and a pretty loyal one at that. Contrary to belief, it's not because of the name or the status, it's because Apple makes easy to use, hassle-free devices that, I know it's cliche, "simply work." The average consumer doesn't like complexity, they want their electronics to be simple and do what is expected of them. The mantra Keep It Simple Stupid is most applicable when it comes to Apple devices.

Don't stigmatize an entire group of people on the basis of a select few fundamentalists. You wouldn't want people thinking that all Xbox360 owners are a bunch of high pitched 12 year olds with anger problems just because of a few kids who behave that way, now would you? The same goes for the stereotype that all Linux users are nerds still living in their mothers' basements, or here's a good one, all Windows users are Apple bashers because they have an inferiority complex. Yes, there are some Apple users who act smug and think they're superior, but that's certainly not the case for the vast majority of them. Most of them are just average consumers who were drawn to the simplicity of the Mac platform. We even have some of them here on OCC. Can you honestly call me, or D3, or any other OCC Mac user smug and elitist? No you wouldn't, because we also own Windows computers and do all the things you do, we just also happen to own Apple devices. I can bet a rather large number of OCC members own an iPod.

The point is, judge the product on its own merits and not on some of its crazy followers.

Don't care...

I have friends that are smug elitist mac users, and others that are not. *shrug*

I'm definitely not in a market for a device like the iPad. When my laptop hits the dust, I'm not getting another. Ever. Mini ITX would be the closest I'd consider.

I said no. My main reason is that I don't like too many things with a touchscreen. Plus I still have problems typing on a regular keyboard. I could just imagine my typing skills on this thing. If it had a touchscreen like the Blackberry storm2 then I would be more inclined because of the feedback it provides when clicked in.

I said no. My main reason is that I don't like too many things with a touchscreen. Plus I still have problems typing on a regular keyboard. I could just imagine my typing skills on this thing. If it had a touchscreen like the Blackberry storm2 then I would be more inclined because of the feedback it provides when clicked in.

Having never used a BB Storm2, what kind of feedback does it offer?

I have a netbook, it costs less and does more. I have no need for an expensive little toy to show off while sipping on a Mocha Cappulatte at Starbucks or Barnes and Noble.

The point is, judge the product on its own merits and not on some of its crazy followers.

Well said :thumbs-up:

Having never used a BB Storm2, what kind of feedback does it offer?

The screen actually pushes down, so you feel "clicking" as you would with a normal keyboard. Despite that, however, you still have to actually look at the screen while typing because you don't actually feel the keys themselves, although granted I only had limited exposure to it, playing around with a (ex)coworker's.

The iPad is not relevant to my current interests.

nope, its a pointless item if you have a netbook, i agree with charlie brookers opinion of it

The screen actually pushes down, so you feel "clicking" as you would with a normal keyboard. Despite that, however, you still have to actually look at the screen while typing because you don't actually feel the keys themselves, although granted I only had limited exposure to it, playing around with a (ex)coworker's.

:withstupid:

Basically you have to push down on the screen until you feel a click to select or type something. The nice thing I like about the screen is you can scroll up and down menus and web pages without accidentally clicking on something.

The Blackberry storm 2 is riddled with problems I just recently had a friend that went through 2 of them the first one he got had screen problems in certain areas the screen would not click making it very hard to use the phone and the second one he got randomly restarted its self plus when the phone was working it was very buggy sometimes. In the end after doing some research and finding out it's a common problem with the storm 2 he just gave up after the second one broke and got a droid. Out of the storm 2s that do work I've found although it's a nice phone when its working the droid or the iphone would be better because of there better options and features.

Edited by fire_storm