Hydraulics fluid as coolant?

halfsquelch

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been using feser one for years now with no problems at all, and despite being called a moron i have a number of reasons for doing so. in no particular order:

- glows brighter under UV light than any tubing i've used

- has been shown to be non conductive in independent tests, and has never damaged my machine after several major spillages

- prevents algae growth

- i can top up the system continuously without ever worrying about getting the mix wrong

- does not clog up my blocks or pump

watercooling "experts" are always harping on about how these premixed coolants are a scam, but i'm willing to pay a small amount more for convenience and consistency, and there's no reason you shouldn't consider it too.

I know some people use winterized windshield washer fluid, the blue stuff, as coolant it seems to do a good job and it has ethyl alcohol, or ethanol, in it and ethanol kills organisms by denaturing their proteins and dissolving their lipids and is effective against most bacteria and fungi, and many viruses so it also serves as a biocide.

theres something about cooling a hot processor with something flammable that just sits unevenly awkward with me lol

i remember watching an older guy pour a whole bottle of windshield washer fluid into his steaming empty radiator.(car)

-shakes head-

Edited by cirro

Fairly sure your average PC pump would have issues moving the higher viscosity fluid... you'd probably have to find another heavier duty pump with appropriate fittings. And I wouldn't think it's worth it... may offer some more heat capacity/resistance.. but it sort of like adding a bigger battery to an over taxed car. Yeah it'll run longer but you're still going to outrun the rate you can recharge and run out of juice...

Just to let you guys know I have a dual piston hydro pump and 1/2" steel braid tubes (don't ask).

I'm also not sure what type of hydro fluid I am using, it is the same stuff we use on the A-10s here.

I will install it all and run some tests.

Just to let you guys know I have a dual piston hydro pump and 1/2" steel braid tubes (don't ask).

I'm also not sure what type of hydro fluid I am using, it is the same stuff we use on the A-10s here.

so i am guessing you are a mechanic,

now my next guess it that you are soon to prove to us why mechanic's and computers don't mix,

lol JJ

Hydrualic Fluid As Coolant Pros / Cons

Pros:

cheaper than distilled water because you get it free

you can tell people that you have to go change oil on your computer

Cons

harder to pump

less thermally conductive than water

flameable

messy to clean up if spilled

may or may not wreck pump

gonna be a pain to get out of your water cooling blocks when you realize this is a bad idea

oils can eat away at rubber and maybe even parts of your cooling equipment

After my quick pro/con analysis I'd say the choice is obvious,, fill it with oil :)

Edited by feetfats

After spending years on the internet I have found those pre mixtures, colored coolants clog the tiny fins on the blocks and stain everything so I would advise against those also. If you want colors get the colored tubing...

:withstupid:

Especially if the blocks use jet plates like the EK block.

FYI it's probably MIL-H-5506 hydro. I would recommend not taking any from supply...but that's just me. You realize that stuff needs to get turned into hazmat when you're done with the cans right?

Silver has anti-bactierial properties and copper has similar.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/4337136/description.html

http://www.mts.net/~revive/pioneer.html

http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfec...-ionization.htm

I'm curious if ionized copper and ionized silver could be added to coolant without consequences.

idk 'bout this instance but oil sure cooled the hell outta my '72 superbeetle baja bug back in the day... B:)

with some good heat exchangers and fannage it could work....maybe if it's like 5w-10w low viscosity.....somebody above said it takes a longer time to warm up to operating temerature and holds heat longer than water does so therein lies the problem....