Smoking around your apple will void your warranty

cirro

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2391229/posts

Unless you've just arrived in 2009 on a time machine, you know that smoking isn't good for you. Did you know, that smoking isn't good for your computer, either? It's true, at least according to Apple. Two readers in different parts of the country claim that their Applecare warranties were voided due to secondhand smoke. Both readers appealed their cases up to the office of God Steve Jobs himself. Both lost.

Back in April, Derek copied us on his e-mail to Jobs:

I took my mid 2007 apple macbook (black) into the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, April 25th, because I had been experiencing some issues with it overheating, and figured the fan was bad. After some initial testing, they took the computer in for work under my Applecare plan, which has over a year remaining on it.

Today, April, 28, 2008, the Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, that has voided the warranty and they refuse to work on the machine, due to "health risks of second hand smoke".

Not only is this faulty science, attributing non smoking residue to second hand smoke, on Chad's part, no where in your applecare terms of service can I find anything mentioning being used in a smoking environment as voiding the warranty.

This was on here a few months ago I think, I have worked on my friends xbox360 that was out of warranty because it was overheating after long play sessions. He smokes around 1-2 packs a day in his room and it was just gross inside of the machine, brown almost sticky dust was crammed into every air vent and the heat sink was just packed full.

I understand why it would void the warranty.

This was posted in the news a few months back.

As I said then, I've worked on systems where the owner smoked. I'll never do it again. There is no amount of $$ you can pay me that is worth working in that type of situation.

This was posted in the news a few months back.

As I said then, I've worked on systems where the owner smoked. I'll never do it again. There is no amount of $$ you can pay me that is worth working in that type of situation.

While I agree with you, it should be said in the TOS... otherwise, you guys are still in the US, people sue for all sorts of rubbish over there...

Edited by kingdingeling

you must have to smoke several packs a day to really clog up vents and heatsinks. i smoke around my PC quite regularly and i've never seen even the slightest trace of the putrid gunk others are describing.

There is no amount of $$ you can pay me that is worth working in that type of situation.

afraid to get your hands dirty? :P i'd never turn down work over such a trivial matter!

Edited by psycho_terror

you must have to smoke several packs a day to really clog up vents and heatsinks. i smoke around my PC quite regularly and i've never seen even the slightest trace of the putrid gunk others are describing.

afraid to get your hands dirty? :P i'd never turn down work over such a trivial matter!

:withstupid:

Worked on plenty of computer where they have smoked heavily during long gaming sessions. Clogged and nasty. Hour, couple cans of air and lots of antistatic wipes later, clean and spotless. I've always just charged extra if I have to clean the computer as well as their problem.

Unless your are sucking all the crap up and swallowing it, its not going to be detrimental to your health. You house air probably has more pathogens and carcinogens than what you would breath from cleaning the computer.

They musta been smoking some REALLY strong stuff to get the apple's in the first place :rolleyes:

Now that I'm awake again and thinking more clearly, I won't attack Apple needlessly. I shall support them in this. Smoking is a FAR worse waste of money