Next gen consoles

Desktop-pro

I know it seems early to be talking about the next generation of video game consoles, but it's rumored that the next Xbox is coming in fall 2012. So it's time to start speculating on what is coming.

What do you expect of the next gen consoles? What company will you be the most interested in?

Edit: Sorry i meant to put this in gaming.

Edited by Desktop-pro

I know it seems early to be talking about the next generation of video game consoles, but it's rumored that the next Xbox is coming in fall 2012. So it's time to start speculating on what is coming.

What do you expect of the next gen consoles? What company will you be the most interested in?

Why would the release something in fall 2012, no one is going to buy a system they will only be able to use for a few months :lol:

The current lineup of console are going to last a lot longer than we have previously seen. Not only do we have companies constantly refining the consoles through updates which extends the life of the consoles by a lot, but we have the marketing of games changing. What used to be a $50 investment for a few hours of fun is now extended through multiplayer and DLC support, which also helps extend the life of a console, since the game is relevant to a gamer for much longer.

However, there are going to be hardware advancements, and while console developers used to push for things only achievable through a new generation, the current console's only limitation is the hardware. So once developers stop optimizing their code to a ridiculous extent, we'll see a new console.

Edited by tkrow21

Ya. It seems the console makers are putting so much effort and marketing into the current generation and the fan base is so huge. that its hard for me to see them dropping a new console on us even in 2 years.

that and the fact that i just recently jumped on the ps3 bandwagon and shelled out the $300 for it and the $400 for some games.

probably will be most interested in xbox and nintendo.

hopefully nintendo won't be so far behind in the visual area of the game experience.

microsoft will probably have something close to virtual reality and sony probably will too...

but if nintendo can keep the games only slightly kiddy, improve on the wii remote in new ways and still push out the hits with hd graphics it could most likely be alot of fun.

remakes of the classic games in hd would be nice too...

such as the first legend of zelda, super mario bros and metroid.

the current generation of consoles will probably be around for quite awhile longer though, especially sony as the technology in the ps3 is probably still a bit untapped.

a couple more years seems about right perhaps as console hardware is starting to show age, while pc gaming technology continues to grow stronger...

dx11 is probably going to push that along as well.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

i remember reading an interview ages ago, it was with a someone high up in Sony's ranks and they said something along the lines that they're producing the playstations on a like a 10 year cycle or something to that extent. So in other words they didnt plan on having anything for anything new to be released around that time frame. i'm sorry its not more accurate or credible, but it was a a while ago.

i'm over this generation of consoles. i'm sick of the 360 reliability issues. i'm a bit skeptical that we'll see the next gen in 2-3 years. However, when the new gen comes out ps3 will get massive cuts and you'll be able to get a ps3 for the same price as what ps2s sell for these days.

all that being said. ill be interested to see what M$ does i.e. if they'll support blu-ray (IMO, they'd be stupid not to). i'd love to see what's going to revolutionize the console world in 2012. I'd love to see ATI eyefinity support on one console. so u can play ur games on six 52" tvs at once lol.

I actually feel a much stronger need to build a new computer than getting a new console.

Seeing as how consoles typically lag behind computers in terms of raw computing power yet they are still capable of holding their own against today's computer, and add to the fact there really hasn't been much significant increase lately in computer HW ...there really is no pressing need to launch a new console. At least I don't have a "Wow" effect like I did back when 939 systems came out and then Core 2 Duo systems came out.

Like someone else brought up, they still haven't taken full advantage of the PS3. Sony gambled with going the more expensive, advanced route and they're paying for it now. I'm guessing the next round of consoles will be a Battle of the Innovators ...btwn Sony and Nintendo. I think Microsoft will keep their strategy ...it took awhile to finally work but the 360 is finally earning respect ...from a gaming library perspective. The RROD issue is a different matter.

i remember reading an interview ages ago, it was with a someone high up in Sony's ranks and they said something along the lines that they're producing the playstations on a like a 10 year cycle or something to that extent. So in other words they didnt plan on having anything for anything new to be released around that time frame. i'm sorry its not more accurate or credible, but it was a a while ago.

I remember that too. Except I'm pretty sure what they meant was that they wanted their consoles to last 10 years, not that they would produce a new generation every 10 years. Like how ps2's have reached the end of their cycle only recently, and they were relevant for almost 10 years.