• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well this is how it went!

at default voltage bios cleared i got up to 3.7 stable

to get stable at 3.8 i had to add +0.025 to 1.42v thats OCCT ran

then i went to 3.9 wich needed another +.075 to make it 1.5v OCCT stable

to get 4.0 i could always get into windows at 1.5v but shortly running Prime95 it would crash, so i bumped it up to 1.52v same thing, went for a lil longer tho, so i bumped it up again to 1.55 this was the closest i got to running stable went through 45 min of OCCT then crashed.. so i bumped it up again to 1. 58v dident even last as long so w/e i bumped it up again to 1.6 soon as it gose to boot into windows crashbefore it even started! im thinking vista sucks for the 4.0ghz i think it has something to do with the os or its a bios update. but i was surprised that my max temp on the CPU was only 50*C MAX so im kinda mad lol.. cant even get 4GHZ :( ill see how far i can get int he 3.9's and get a final OC of the highest stable clock

I think we should make it a 3.9GHz club!! bawhahah

vista making 4GHz very not likly unless it is my bios that needs to be updated

Hmm, samething here. It more than likely could be driver related. I am going to reinstall Vista @ 4Ghz or 3.9Ghz. Perhaps when doing a new install will config correct for 4Ghz. Its worth a try and I will let you know how it goes.

Hmm, samething here. It more than likely could be driver related. I am going to reinstall Vista @ 4Ghz or 3.9Ghz. Perhaps when doing a new install will config correct for 4Ghz. Its worth a try and I will let you know how it goes.

That's not a real good idea. Your operating system isn't limiting your overclock. Must you make the mistake for yourself to learn? That's pretty thick. So far we've had two brilliant theories here that somehow the overclocking is limited by the BIOS, which may have lead to a dead motherboard. The second theory surely spawned by Einstein himself is that the operating system is limiting your overclock and that reinstalling it at an overclocked setting will somehow rain voltage increases and cooler temperatures down from heaven atop a magic rainbow and somehow "configure" windows for such an overclocked setting. Does that about sum up the theories?

You guys need to learn a whole lot before you take even one baby step further and really screw anything up further. Your friend is trying to recover a failed BIOS and soon you'll be asking why Windows is corrupted and how to fix it. Stop now is my advice to you both. You both don't seem to have a clue and are bouncing the most unsound theories off of each other and coming to worse and worse conclusions.

I highly doubt it's the OS keeping you from running 4Ghz stable. Either your CPU just doesn't have it within or your high CPU voltage and resultant temps overwhelming your cooling are causing the crash before you can enter windows and any temp monitoring program-how can you know your load temp if it crashes loading windows?. I'm running 4Ghz with Vista right now and have been for a couple of weeks without any problems at all. Probably not a BIOS problem either. Investing in better CPU cooling is your best bet. Even then your CPU just may not be able to do 4Ghz. It's not the OS.

Well I am glad you confirmed this, then I think I am going to scratch that about reinstalling even though I am being tempted by it. I am running H2O to the CPU only.

I am running 3.9Ghz @ 1.57 with 45c max temps on full load and stable. WHen I dialed in at 4Ghz I have to raise the volts to 1.65v to atleast stay in prime for 3 passess which is about 5 minutes before it BSOD on me. Max temps @ 4Ghz with 1.65 Volts are 53c.

That should tell you how well my H2O is performing to keep those temps at such high voltage. If its not the OS then its the DDR2 1066/800 Ram that doesnt like 4Ghz on my Crosshair II Formula Mobo. I pushed it to 3.950 stable last night by just increasing the FSB to 246 gradually. As soon as I hit 250 for 4000 flat it like its in another world.

ive got a bigger problem now... i went to go update the bios to F6 everything worked said it copyed it all good and after i exit out of it and restart the computer wont even show the boot up screen now.. im toally stuck :( how do i get out of this situation now???

I had this happen on another computer before. What I did is pull all the Memory stick but left5 1 stick in A1 slot, cleared the CMOS adn then it got me up and runnign again. Then add you other sticks of RAM.

yea ive already sent a question to the support, ive been reading through the manual ill see if i can find that duel boot.. but only jumper i saw was to clear the cmos ive pressed the botton on the board but that dident do anything. Hopfully somone knows a way around it.. im killin for doing it not a good feeling in the belly right now :/

When you clear CMOS I believe you have to press and hold it down for like 10 secs or so. My Asus board does not clear CMOS by just pressing the Clear CMOS button. I have to hold it down for like 10 - 15 secs for it to actually clear.

That's not a real good idea. Your operating system isn't limiting your overclock. Must you make the mistake for yourself to learn? That's pretty thick. So far we've had two brilliant theories here that somehow the overclocking is limited by the BIOS, which may have lead to a dead motherboard. The second theory surely spawned by Einstein himself is that the operating system is limiting your overclock and that reinstalling it at an overclocked setting will somehow rain voltage increases and cooler temperatures down from heaven atop a magic rainbow and somehow "configure" windows for such an overclocked setting. Does that about sum up the theories?

You guys need to learn a whole lot before you take even one baby step further and really screw anything up further. Your friend is trying to recover a failed BIOS and soon you'll be asking why Windows is corrupted and how to fix it. Stop now is my advice to you both. You both don't seem to have a clue and are bouncing the most unsound theories off of each other and coming to worse and worse conclusions.

I appreciate your concerns and trying to help and I am sure there is good intent. We made it very clear we are new at this, coming up with theories, ideas or suggestions to resolve or reach a goal should have shown our willingness of broadening our thoughts in a scientific approach rather than a dictated and tutored approach.

Trial and Error we all have to go through. The best overclockers learnt from trial and error whom learn from other who went through trial and error. So in other words, and that even you learnt of what not to do when over clocking came from those who did the trial and error to pass on the knowledge.

THis is not the first time it has been stated that Vista may be limiting the OC, google it and you will see many other have came to the same conclusion.

Now as for the theory of reinstalling the OS to possible configure correctly was something advised by Corsair support on my 2 second built which was a A8N32-SLI Delux Mobo with the AMD FX-60. When I did this with 4Gbs of RAM my BSOD went away permantly. The only time I saw a BSOD again is when I got greedy and wanted to OC more.

Anyhow though thanks for the tips.

Edited by Buraq

THis is not the first time it has been stated that Vista may be limiting the OC, google it and you will see many other have came to the same conclusion.

Running in 32 bit mode is easier...but that doesn't mean Vista (or 7) is the problem. If it crashes in Vista it will eventually do the same in XP.

Running in 32 bit mode is easier...but that doesn't mean Vista (or 7) is the problem. If it crashes in Vista it will eventually do the same in XP.

XP is smaller OS than Vista,

XP have a smaller amount of background-programs running in the ram than vista, so the cpu must work a lot harder in vista than in xp and that work produces heat i think

XP is smaller OS than Vista,

XP have a smaller amount of background-programs running in the ram than vista, so the cpu must work a lot harder in vista than in xp and that work produces heat i think

That has little to do with it.

Vista uses more of the advanced methods in the CPU (whether in 32 or 64 bit mode) and that's what causes the instability. If the CPU is unstable Vista is just a lot more likely to uncover it in a timely manner.

thats the name of the game. learn from your mistakes. so what you guys are trying to say is the board is dead for real? still havent really answered the question if this board is salvageable... plz let me know if i can get this board to work again, if now i have ordered a new one and a corsair water cooling unit, Crosshair II Formula you think should be better than my Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P??? i hope this board is better, cuz it should be here in a few days.. ill be back up trying to get the 4000 again, this time alot more wiser.

so what you guys think?

Seriously , has anyone been able to get Phenom II running stable over 4 Ghz? I seem to be hitting a wall around 3,9Ghz

oh sorry ad the Hardware:

Amd Phenom II X2 550

Asus M4A78T-E 1703 BIOS

Corsair HX 620

Noctua NH-U12P

other settings auto but vcore 1,5

Edited by Karvizzz