Amd 4000mhz and beyond

RobBan-Swe

You're being encouraged to do better and wished well in your overclocking. Why curse at the guy who can help you?

:withstupid:

You're quite right, SuperPI doesn't mind if the other cores are at lower speeds, provided you set the affinity only on the core you overclock :) This I call adapting the overclock to the benchmark :) So 4125MHz on all cores is not faster in SuperPI, but would be in any multi-threaded benchmarks. If you're running 3DMark, you're better to have them clocked all the way up! ;)

In fact when I said SuperPI went up to 6.2GHz, the other cores were idling at 5.8. I don't have any screenshot that show the cores individual speed though... And God knows, without any screenshots/links, it's like if nothing was achieved! Next time when I overclock I will display all speeds in the screenshot. :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact when I said SuperPI went up to 6.2GHz, the other cores were idling at 5.8. I don't have any screenshot that show the cores individual speed though... And God knows, without any screenshots/links, it's like if nothing was achieved! Next time when I overclock I will display all speeds in the screenshot. :)

< Eye witness

:withstupid:

You're quite right, SuperPI doesn't mind if the other cores are at lower speeds, provided you set the affinity only on the core you overclock :) This I call adapting the overclock to the benchmark :) So 4125MHz on all cores is not faster in SuperPI, but would be in any multi-threaded benchmarks. If you're running 3DMark, you're better to have them clocked all the way up! ;)

i will go 3915 MHz for 1hour tonight and post it up ! if it dosent work a will let you know

RobBan

Hmm i see this thread still going. I kinda pulled off the race here. Now is it me or is it that every Phenom that is able to get 4.0 Ghz + is on a Mobo running AMD chipsets ?

For some reason the people that are having issues of almost going nuclear on the Phenom II 955 and 965 are with Mobos that are running nVidia chipsets ?

I threw in the white towel on this and just let me Phenom II 955 sit at 3.6Ghz @ 1.39v default settings. Its funny that you can OC this thing on default voltage from 3.2 to 3.6 flawlessly, but when going to 3.7Ghz + its like you almost have to hook the darn thing up to a powerplant.

I got 3.9Ghz @ 1.58v stable which is insane exceeding the 1.55v limit and now 1.58v is not enough anymore, in which I had to push it up more to 1.6v to get it stable at 3.9Ghz. The increase in voltage came right after couple of Vista updates.

The good news to all this though I went ahead and got my self the MSI NF980-G65 DDR3 Mobo with the nVdia 980a chipset and some Corsair Dominator GT memory to go with it. I am not going to put the Phenom 955 on this Mobo, just waiting for the next Phenom II player to come, by then this MSI mobo should be well established with progressive bios releases and by then I will have a BIGGER H2O cooling system.

Edit: I order by mistake Corsair Dominator GT 4Gb (2x2Gb) CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 which is for the Intel i7, whoever can use this send me a PM.

Edited by Buraq

Hmm i see this thread still going. I kinda pulled off the race here. Now is it me or is it that every Phenom that is able to get 4.0 Ghz + is on a Mobo running AMD chipsets ?

For some reason the people that are having issues of almost going nuclear on the Phenom II 955 and 965 are with Mobos that are running nVidia chipsets ?

i'm on nvidia chipset and i still able to get pass 4.0 but at a slightly higher vcore compared to an AMD based board, i don't know about 955-965 but even with all 4 core unlocked in my cpu i'm still able to get pass the 4.0ghz mark but to get it stable enough for benchmark require almost 1.6v of vcore

Doesn't matter it will work in your AMD platform too.

Yes I have read this, however I have heard of OC issues with it though. I still went ahead and got 4 sticks (8Gb) of the "B" version (CMG4GX3M2B1600C7) that is exclusively for the Phenom II.

i'm on nvidia chipset and i still able to get pass 4.0 but at a slightly higher vcore compared to an AMD based board, i don't know about 955-965 but even with all 4 core unlocked in my cpu i'm still able to get pass the 4.0ghz mark but to get it stable enough for benchmark require almost 1.6v of vcore

At least one thing is for certain though, Mobos with nVidia chipsets untilize more CPU Vcore for OC stability and AMD chipset Mobos require less. I have been all the way up to 1.63v-1.65v trying to get it stable at 4.0Ghz but it will not pass Prime95 or OCCT. 3.9Ghz is my stable limit.

Hahah ! Lets start a new word trend, anytime someone goes over the max CPU voltage it will be called "Nuclear" or "Nuke"

"......I nuked my CPU last night .........."

:blink:

At least one thing is for certain though, Mobos with nVidia chipsets untilize more CPU Vcore for OC stability and AMD chipset Mobos require less. I have been all the way up to 1.63v-1.65v trying to get it stable at 4.0Ghz but it will not pass Prime95 or OCCT. 3.9Ghz is my stable limit.

Hahah ! Lets start a new word trend, anytime someone goes over the max CPU voltage it will be called "Nuclear" or "Nuke"

"......I nuked my CPU last night .........."

:blink:

Depends on the board, too. Almost all high-end boards are using AMD chipsets, like the Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P, the ASUS Crosshair III Formula, etc. Look here, you'll see by yourself. The first NVIDIA board is at $160, which is the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe. It's using DDR2, yuck. I have the MSI NF980-G65 also, but I did not overclock on it yet. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Depends on the board, too. Almost all high-end boards are using AMD chipsets, like the Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P, the ASUS Crosshair III Formula, etc. Look here, you'll see by yourself. The first NVIDIA board is at $160, which is the ASUS M4N82 Deluxe. It's using DDR2, yuck. I have the MSI NF980-G65 also, but I did not overclock on it yet. I'll let you guys know how it works.

I will for sure like to see how the MSI NF980-G65 does for you in OCing. I have been reading the manual on the BIOS and it seems very promissing and much more flexable to work with.