Amd 4000mhz and beyond

RobBan-Swe

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came across this article that touch upon some variance views posted in this thread:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...?i=3619&p=9

Now if these guys are not a reputable source then just ignore it.

A 625MHz overclock is nothing to sneeze at, but it certainly does not come near those 6GHz~7GHz clock speeds we see on a regular basis with the Phenom II series. Granted, reaching those high clock speeds requires LN2 cooling but there is another important reason. We have discussed it several times and still do not have an acceptable answer from AMD about the inability of the Phenom II to clock much past 4GHz with a 64-bit operating system. Even with LN2 cooling we have not successfully benched past 4.4GHz with a 64-bit OS.

The above were the result on the new Phenom 965. So it seems from abroad those of us using a 64bit OS regardles if it is XP, Vista, or W7 there is a 4Ghz barrier meaning for the majority we will not be able go beyond this instability wall.

Priviously they ran into the same issue with the Phenom 955:

Unfortunately, we never reached the limits of this cooler due to continuing problems with the Phenom II processor family and Vista 64 not allowing overclocks over 4GHz without cooling the CPU to near zero temperatures......

........Our maximum CPU overclock put us at a disappointing (embarrassing) 3.90GHz with HT link speed at 2606MHz and Northbridge speed at 2807MHz. Memory speed is set to DDR3-1604 at 6-7-6-18 1T on 1.65V. Core VID is at 1.425V and NB VID at 1.30V to ensure 24/7 stability. We tried a variety of CPU multipliers, voltages, and memory speeds but continually ran into stability problems as we approached 4GHz under Vista 64.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3551

However I have to say I did a little better than they did. I was able to reach 3.950 Mhz stable by only increasing the FSB to 246 and left everything else to Auto and the vCore being set to 1.58

Strange, never heard of that. Here I sit at 4Ghz with Vista 64 bit. I didn't have that problem with a Phenom II at 4Ghz either. I guess you learn something new everyday(again I'm not being sarcastic I'm just surprised to hear this).

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...ost&id=9576

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=663142

I'm not going to discount the theory as it could be true and I just haven't run into it or experienced it yet. I've found that it really takes an exponentially larger voltage increase for most of the Phenom II I've played with after about 3.8Ghz.

Strange, never heard of that. Here I sit at 4Ghz with Vista 64 bit. I didn't have that problem with a Phenom II at 4Ghz either. I guess you learn something new everyday(again I'm not being sarcastic I'm just surprised to hear this).

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...ost&id=9576

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=663142

I'm not going to discount the theory as it could be true and I just haven't run into it or experienced it yet. I've found that it really takes an exponentially larger voltage increase for most of the Phenom II I've played with after about 3.8Ghz.

Remember the article is about the AMD Phenom II, not an Intel CPU. The article is talking about stability at 4Ghz on a 64bit OS with the Phenom II series. Other than CPU-Z, can you show the Phenom passed OCCT or Prime95 at 4Ghz, if so can you get pass 4Ghz ?

Edited by Buraq

Remember the article is about the AMD Phenom II, not an Intel CPU. The article is talking about stability at 4Ghz on a 64bit OS. Other than CPU-Z, can you show the Phenom passed OCCT or Prime95 at 4Ghz, if so can you get pass 4Ghz ?

I have since sold my AMD systems, sorry. I did have one 965 that was OCCT 1 hour test stable at 4Ghz but it belongs to someone else now. But no I couldn't get any further than 4Ghz with it. It was absolutely stuck and could get no further no matter what voltage I threw at it.

I'm still not sure how this is an OS issue. Have you tried another OS?

I have since sold my AMD systems, sorry. I did have one 965 that was OCCT 1 hour test stable at 4Ghz but it belongs to someone else now. But no I couldn't get any further than 4Ghz with it. It was absolutely stuck and could get no further no matter what voltage I threw at it.

I'm still not sure how this is an OS issue. Have you tried another OS?

I am installing XP Pro 32 bit on a spare HD I have atm. I will OC the CPU as far as I can on that and then report it back here. If I get pass 4ghz, I have a copy of Vista 32bit and will OC on that as well. I probably wont get to the Vsita 32bit until I come back from vacation next Thursday.

I am installing XP Pro 32 bit on a spare HD I have atm. I will OC the CPU as far as I can on that and then report it back here. If I get pass 4ghz, I have a copy of Vista 32bit and will OC on that as well. I probably wont get to the Vsita 32bit until I come back from vacation next Thursday.

I was thinking Linux. Just a thought. Might have more luck if the theory is true.

4Ghz OC to XP Pro 32bit failed with the Phenom II X4 955 once again as it did with Vista Ultimate 64bit. The only difference is that in XP Pro 32 bit from 3.7Ghz - 3.9Ghz there was a -0.03 vCore difference in voltage.

At 4Ghz I ran my vCore all the way to 1.65 with 55c max temps. The longer I stayed in Prime95 was with lower voltages while staying below 50c. So adding voltage made things worse instead of seeing result of more stability.

In both OS, the crash occures when temps got pass 50c.

One thing to mention I cannot control my VDDNB on my AM2+ Mobo. The VDDNB is linked to the vCore. If the vCore goes up the VDDNB goes up also. Once at 4Ghz the longest time in prime is with 1.58 voltage which affect my VDDNB voltage to go up to 1.65v. From what is understood this wayyy too high for the NB voltage. I have set the VDDNB to 100mv and 150mv and it does not change anything. The CPU is in total control of this voltage.

On the new Crosshair III Formula AM3 native Mobo there is a VDDNB and NB voltage setting that are seperate.

A) The CPU demands below 50c temps to be stable at 4Ghz

B) My NB is being overvoltaged resulting in extreme heat on the NB that needs to be compensated for

C) Not able to controll the NB voltage directly is affecting the 4Ghz OC

D) All the above

Edited by Buraq

I found out that the cpu overvoltage produces enormous amount of heat, my watercooling system can only work up to 1.53volt stable 29-38 celcius.

but if a rise to 1,6v a must put down the NB speed for decrease the nb\cpu volt to 1,1v othervice to much heat that my system cant handle.

If i must go 1,6 v and a fast NB i must rebuild my cooling system to a bigger.