Is removing a CPU from the socket safe?

So my watercooling kit mounting hardware showed up yesterday and I would like to get the most out if it - so I'd like to lap both the CPU and heatsink. I'll probably just use 600, 800, and 1000 because I suspect both to be reasonably flat.

When I installed the CPU fo rthe first time the clamping arm on the socket seems to hold with a fair amount of force.

It it safe to remove the chip after it's been mounted? The socket doesn;t deform the pins or anythings?

Also, it's worth mentioning that when installing this CPU, I accidently bent (and then straighened) about 4 of the pins. I'm not sure if the weakened fixed pins will be an issue in unmounting the chip.

Bent the pins? What processor are you using?

And it's tough to say for sure, but as long as the integrity of the pins wasn't "too" compromised from bending them back and forth, it should be safe to remove the CPU from the socket...

Bent the pins? What processor are you using?

And it's tough to say for sure, but as long as the integrity of the pins wasn't "too" compromised from bending them back and forth, it should be safe to remove the CPU from the socket...

Phenom II X3 720BE

I bent a few pins when installing and had to straighten them.

Would you reccomend I just worry about lapping the cooling block?

Phenom II X3 720BE

I bent a few pins when installing and had to straighten them.

Would you reccomend I just worry about lapping the cooling block?

I would RMA them before its too late. Where did you buy it from?

I would RMA them before its too late. Where did you buy it from?

He bent them himself so cant RMA it.

If you are worried you could just leave it in, lapping will only make a small difference and will hardly be the end of the world. Then again you've just spent a good chuck on increasing your cooling capacity so maybe you should. I rekon it wont have made that much of a difference and you'll probably be fine, just take care when you are handling it, to avoid static and further pin bending ;)

Depending on the waterblock, I would NOT suggest lapping it.

I know on my system, the waterblock didn't look all that great, but the way Swiftec did their stuff, it was. And all the stories on that were they decreased the cooling ability by lapping it. AKA they had higher temperatures.

you can get luck just like him.. :)

Lmao I'm impressed, I thought it was toast for sure. Then he throws the pin into the motherboard and tosses the cpu on and bam it works lmao that was some funny stuff.