Intel vs. AMD - The Big Question...

I've really been trying to weigh my options on what processor to go with for my new build and could use some suggestions.

Intended use:

* Gaming (Flight Simulators, WoW - sometimes dual/triple boxing, Half-Life, etc.)

* Website Design (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc.)

* Possibly some 3D rendering (I play with Bryce3D sometimes)

* Occasional video editing with Adobe Premier

So, now the big question... Core i7 or Phenom II?

Consideration:

* The cheapest i7 (920) is $280, the most expensive Phenom II (955 black edition) is $200. I'm definitely not spending $1K on a processor, and even the $570 for the i7 950 is a bit hard to swallow.

* I've heard the i7 920 can be OC'd to match the more expensive models, but how does a stock i7 920 compare to the stock Phenom II 955 Black? Huge difference?

* What about OC capabilities between the two?

* Something else to keep in mind is MB prices. The X58 chipset boards for the i7 are a bit more pricey than the boards for the Phenom II.

I really don't mind spending a bit of extra dough for the i7 (920 tops, not spending $570+) and everything that goes with it if it's truely better when all things are considered, but if one of the Phenom II (doesn't have to be the 955, just using that as a cost comparison) products will save me a little money and compete with the i7, why not?

I've always been an AMD guy and love their products, but I'm hearing quite a few AMD die hards switching to the i7...

Thoughts anyone?

Ooooo, pretty! It will be a couple months till I can start the build anyway, so I can easily wait until then. I guess that may change my post slightly... instead of comparing with the 955, change that to the 965... seems it will sell for about the same price as the i7 920... anyone know how it does/will compare (taking into consideration my original post)?

In the news it says approximately the same as the 955. So it should be a little cheaper than the i7.

On another note, Lynnfield CPUs from Intel are coming soon too.

Definitely, you cannot take a decision right now if you will build that computer in a few months. Oh BTW the next gen ATI cards will also be out soon.

The 920 can be had for a little as $200

:withstupid:, not to mention I still don't know what AMD is thinking pushing these multiplier bumped chips like the 955 and 965. They're just 940's with AM3 capability and 1 to 2 shifts in their multiplier. Anyone can do that, and as you can tell I'm not as much of a fan of AM3 since DDR3 hasn't proven itself.

Either get an i7/DDR3 3x2gb system or get a 940/DDR2 2x2GB system. There really is no in between, well there shouldn't be anyway. Unless you don't need a quad, in which case get an x3 720 or x2 550

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Correct me if I'm mistaken...but isn't that what both Intel and AMD do? Bin chips, disable features, etc?

:withstupid:

What's the E8500, E8600? Just an E8400 with an increased multiplier. What's the E7300, E7400, E7500? Just an E7200 lol.

I personally don't think the 965 will perform any better than the 955. If you want a good chip at just stock, get the 965. Otherwise get the 940 and DDR2 as DDR3 isn't really worth it. A good AM2+ system will cost far less than an i7 system. But, if you are gonna wait a while, what I say now doesn't really matter because new chips are around the corner (graphics, gulftown, i5). An i5 may be a good compromise between price and performance.

Correct me if I'm mistaken...but isn't that what both Intel and AMD do? Bin chips, disable features, etc?
:withstupid:

What's the E8500, E8600? Just an E8400 with an increased multiplier. What's the E7300, E7400, E7500? Just an E7200 lol.

ya but it makes me LOL when AMD does it because they unlock the multiplier on all their black edition chips so any average joe can up their multiplier. to the 955 or 965's clock speed with no sweat whatsoever.

With intel they lock it so if you want that to overclock higher you get the chip with the multiplier that'd best compliment your setup.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

ya but it makes me LOL when AMD does it because they unlock the multiplier on all their black edition chips so any average joe can up their multiplier. to the 955 or 965's clock speed with no sweat whatsoever.

With intel they lock it so if you want that to overclock higher you get the chip with the multiplier that'd best compliment your setup.

Not true anymore.