Can I reach @4.0ghz on an i7 920 C0 on air?

*i7 920 C0 (I know, the D0 is out, but I had bought the C0 already...)

*Akasa Nero AK-967 (more description here http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm )

*Thermic Paste Arctic Silver 5

*ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

*Chassis Cooler Master HAF 932 KKN2-GP (some info about it http://www.bestcovery.com/node/11513 )

with 2 extra upgraded fans side and top (900 RPM, 150CFM 230 x 200 x 30mm)

These ones here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8462/fan...0CB-3DL-L1.html

*Corsair TX-750w Power Supply

*Geforce GTX 285 Black Edition

About memory...

Im still trying to choose one of those below...

How does the memory influence on my ability to reach stable @4.0Ghz? Im still searching.

Memory 6GB (3x2) OCZ Platinum 1600

or

Memory 6GB (3x2) OCZ Gold 1600

or

Memory 6GB (3x2) Corsair Platinum 1600

or

Memory 6GB (3X2) Corsair Dominator 1600

or

another brand/model, give your suggestions

Temperatures here are around 27

4 GHz = 20x 200 so 1600 MHz memory is fine

However, don't expect to be fully stable at that speed, especially on a C0. 3.6 GHz is a much more realistic 24/7 clock

I have a 4GHz air stable CO stepping with a TRUE and 2 Ultra Kaze fans in a push pull config. It really comes down to what temps you are comfortable with and ultimately how much voltage your chip takes to be really stable at 4.0 GHz. I can screen shot all day at 1.3 volts but it takes 1.39 to be prime stable. Once you get over abput 1.35 the temperatures skyrocket. Prime stability at 4.0 takes voltage and if your chip needs more than 1.35 be ready for high temperatures. This chip does 4.1 prime stable with 1.41 volts on water and the temperatures are still higher than i want.

I got my C0 to 3.6 and it ran 24/7 very nicely. It's backed off to 3.2 and I'll only pump it up that far now if I want to run up some crazy folding numbers. OC'ing on the P6T Deluxe original model was pretty easy for, so enjoy your V2.

I have a 4GHz air stable CO stepping with a TRUE and 2 Ultra Kaze fans in a push pull config. It really comes down to what temps you are comfortable with and ultimately how much voltage your chip takes to be really stable at 4.0 GHz. I can screen shot all day at 1.3 volts but it takes 1.39 to be prime stable. Once you get over abput 1.35 the temperatures skyrocket. Prime stability at 4.0 takes voltage and if your chip needs more than 1.35 be ready for high temperatures. This chip does 4.1 prime stable with 1.41 volts on water and the temperatures are still higher than i want.

Mine is exactly the same, i need 1.38 volts for mine to be stable @4.0ghz, im using 19x212 for my clock.

My 920 C0 was stable at 4GHz with 1.4v on water cooling, but it required pretty hefty secondary voltages. I don't think it could've run those speeds on air because the temps were hitting near 80C loaded so the puny dual 120MM radiator I was using for that setup was completely heat soaked.

If you have trouble running 20x200, try switching to a lower multi and higher bclck. Some C0 chips hate the 20x multi at high blck speeds and become very unstable. You can get around this by running a 19x multi, which seems to be much easier on the C0 chips, and a higher bclck. There's a trade-off though because a higher bclck usually requires a higher PCI-E frequency (108-116) so you'll need a video card that's capable of tolerating it.

Edited by Nuclear